Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierquilt

Best Flat Peento Peach Cultivar

I tried searching through the forum, but couldn't find the thread that I think exists about some of the newer flat/peento peach cultivars now available. Think they are the Rutgers cultivars? Can't remember right now. I have a few flat peaches, and my husband just adores them - push out the pit and eat the peach. Plus, they're very good, too, which of course is what it's about :-) So, any recommendations? I'm lucky to be in a climate where rot is not an issue (super dry during late spring/early summer), so that is not an issue for me. Would love some feedback on the varieties you all have found to be exceptional.

Patty S.

Comments (32)

• Tony
    10 years ago

HQ,

Here is some infos on Peento peach below in the link.

Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Peento Peach

• MrClint
    10 years ago

I don't have any first hand knowledge of growing the peento type peaches. I do like the ones that I have eaten, and would be interested in any high-quality late season varieties.

The DWN site recommends two, Donut (Stark Saturn) & Sweet Bagel. I am swamped with fruit from June to July, so Donut is out for me. Likewise for Sweet Bagel as it ripens through August when I'm loaded with figs and my long holding pluots.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    10 years ago

I've got fruit on Sweet Bagel. It's starting to look ripe but still hard. Galaxy, Saturn, and the four NJ peentos listed by ACN are all harvested near Redhaven, about late June in CA. So Sweet Bagel comes at a better time for me. Scott likes it but says it rots too much for him. I'll have TangOs and TangOs ll fruit in a couple years.

Sauzee King the flat nectarine is also late June Harvest. I had a few fruit on it this year but it shriveled. Guess my limited water regime was too much for that 2nd leaf tree. It may need more water to make fruit.

• Tony
    10 years ago

Mrclint,

I have Flat Wonderful. Nice red leaves, yellow flesh and loaded with fruits. It ripened around now in Zone 5. Mild sweet with good flavor and juicy. Some members on this forum like Tangos more.

Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Tangos

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Tony. And mrclint, I have Galaxy, Stark Saturn, Sweet Bagel, Flat Wonderful, and I also have a flat necatrine, Sauzee King. So, looking at some of the new flat peentos out there, and hoping someone can provide some personal feedback. Rutgers I think has a couple of newer ones, and not sure who else might have a new peento?

Patty S.

• franktank232
    10 years ago

I ate a Saturn this morning...it was on the small side (?) but was soft and very sweet...excellent tasting peach in my opinion, but for some reason that one was small...i still have about a dozen more... TangOs should ripen soon.

• alan haigh
    10 years ago

Saturn is for the lovers of pure sugar. What does it taste like- well mostly just very sweet with lots of juice. Anyone drawn to low acid fruit should love it. Squirrels and wasps certainly do. My Ecuadorian helper found it first rate and I suspect it is popular in Japan and wherever low acid, highly sweet fruit is prized.

TangO's is more interesting and probably better for you because of its deep orange flesh. It has a very unusual texture for a peach- a bit like a mango. It's plenty sweet but has some acid for balance.

I've tried my first couple of BuenO and they are the most beautiful flat peach I've ever seen but I'm not going to offer an opinion of the flavor yet, except to say it appears to be on the super sweet- low acid side.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, harvestman. I forgot to add that I JUST added this season the TangO, and TangO II (based on fruitnut considering doing the same). Both are very happy in their location and I anticipate fruit next year. IF I can get the bloody damned ground squirrels (and now a resident raccoon the size of my Australian Shepherd) out of the trees. I actually love them, too, because they are super easy to eat out of hand (while walking around in the garden with only a hose for cleanup, lol!) Thanks, and I'll check out BuenO. Not familiar with that variety. And, the other 2 Rutgers cultivars as well.

Patty S.

• MrClint
    10 years ago

Very impressive selection, Patty. I'm still curious what you folks do with so much fruit coming in all at once. I'm buried with just 2 to 3 trees popping at the same time.

Yeah, Sweet Bagel is just a tad early for me. Anything ripening now in any zone is going to be too early. I would need something that ripens mid to late August to mid September (just as poms are kicking in).

• olpea
    10 years ago

BuenOs (NJF18) is low acid. I fruited it for three years and don't like it that well, but I'm not that fond of low acid peaches. I like peaches with a little "kick".

I like TangOs. It seems like it's well liked on this forum by those that have tried it.

• MrClint
    10 years ago

I thin and give away, and I'm still swamped with fruit sometimes. That's why I value varieties that can hold well. I'm still eating Burgundy Plums that have been holding since June.

My Angel Red is still pretty young, but it's been very precocious. Of course Wonderful is the gold standard, but Angel Red fruit is much smaller (as is the tree), and with much softer seeds. I find the flavor to be comparable to Wonderful, which to me is a very good thing. It's a little earlier, but not a whole lot if you are shooting for dead ripe -- they can overlap a bit, as not all the fruit are ripe at once. I'm not sure about AR's holding ability as they come at a time when they get gobbled up pretty quickly.

I got my eye on this one:

Original Author
    10 years ago

Ooh, so red. Mine is not that red, yet. I need to fertilize my poms, they are a wee bit pale. And, no Burgundy plums for me this year. Hopefully next, and I can't let my fruit sit on the tree, or the squirrels will take them. I accidentally ended up with two Angel Red's, as I thought my first one had bit the dust. It came back just fine, so now I have two. But, I will be juicing them as well as eating them, so that's not a bad thing! I can freeze the juice. And, there was just some new study that came out recently regarding additional benefits from pomegranate juice. I'll see if I can find it and post it to this thread.

Olpea, thanks for clarifying that NJF18 is 'BuenO', I'll skip it. I like a more complex taste than just sweetness. You and Harvestman have convinced me, I think I have a nice line up, so will order an Arctic Jay instead, along with a 'Vanessa' grape (recommended to me by Millet on the Citrus Growers Forum as an excellent table grape).

Patty S.

10 years ago

I haven't started Burgundy harvest yet. But I think they are about ready. Bay Laurel says late July to mid August. June Burgundys sound like the kind of fruit weatherman seems to like, green.

I usually have at least 6 fruits ripe at any one time from May thru August. Right now I'm eating four varieties of grapes, three nectarine, and five pluot. A new pluot, Crimson Royale, has a very unique and delicious flavor. Each time I eat one I'm thinking, what does that taste like? Crimson Royale is all I've come up with so far. That and Orangered apricots are the finds of the year. I'm really loving my fruit lineup!! Hopefully the flat peaches/nectarine will add to that.

PS: Patty I've tried about 20 varieties of eastern hardy seedless grapes. None are as good as Flame, Summer Royal, and Crimson. Summer royal makes killer raisins. I'm drying 5 trays right now. Summer Muscat has incredible flavor but cracks badly.

For production, berry size, flavor, and raisins Summer Royal can't be beat. Get the water right and you'll be in love with this grape.

This post was edited by fruitnut on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 23:45

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, fruitnut, I will jot down the grape varieties. And, Crimson Royale pluot, Orangered apricot?? Inquiring minds must know where you can procure a tree from, please.

Patty S.

• MrClint
    10 years ago

We're talking late June on Burgundy, and they are generally on the spicy side at that time. Some do ripen much faster than others. On a small tree you can touch them easily and pick any of the early birds that give a little. Right now they are pretty soft, shrivelled, and with a jelly-ish texture around the seed. I think they take on a rich plum wine taste, but that's just my take. I try to pick by feel and as needed, as opposed to all at once and by the calendar.

10 years ago

Several places sell Summer Royal grape, see below. The best bet is to find some retail nursery that buys from LE Cooke. I've suggested this variety to Bay Laurel but they haven't picked it up yet. This is the only highly productive grape that properly grown rates close to a top 20 fruit on taste. Summer Muscat tastes better but even in my greenhouse is too difficult to grow.

Fowler nursery sells Orangered apricot but it's too high chilling for Vista.

Crimson Royale would be a group order from DWN. But they have upped their minimum order to 100 trees and sell in bundles of ten. Maybe they would make an exception for CRFG.

One of these years I'll order 100, ten cultivars in bundles of ten, but right now only have about 5-6 I want. I think Citation rootstock would count as part of the 100 trees. I'm thinking I could find others outside CA that would share Citations if I distributed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Summer Royal grape

10 years ago

Alden Lane Nursery in Livermore, CA has both Summer Muscat and Summer Royal. But I think they don't ship. They have nice pictures and accurate descriptions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grapes at Alden Lane

This post was edited by fruitnut on Thu, Aug 8, 13 at 9:20

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Fruitnut. We'll look into this as a group buy with CRFG (note - we only would do pick ups, no shipping).

Patty S.

• milehighgirl
    10 years ago

If you place your order by Nov 1st. Bay Laurel will special order from DWN and LEC. They list a few of their special orders on their website but if you contact them they can order other items. baylaurelnursery@gmail.com.

10 years ago

Grow Organic recently told me to call back in November about special orders from DWN. I think I'll do some calling in October and see if I can't get a few of the DWN items on my wish list.

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

Hoosier, I am so envious that you will be ordering an 'Arctic Jay'. Mine in our zone 6b-7a, was a disaster. The fruits were small, never really plumped up and worst of all the tree was my only magnet for every horrible insect known to man. It seemed like the 'perfect' nectarine to grow after research. It is the only fruit missing from my orchard. A white nectarine! Lucky you! Mrs. G

• milehighgirl
    10 years ago

Looking at AC's website and the TangOs II looks really interesting with it's green skin. Has anyone eaten this fruit? There was a thread here a while ago touting a greenish peach that was not selling well at a farmer's market until he put samples out. Maybe this would not be such a squirrel magnet?

"This selection has been more challenging to grow compared to NJF 16 [TangOs], yet the fruit quality and flavor have ranked very high.

What kinds of challenges are they talking about?

Also, I have a Saturn and it seems every bit as hardy as my other zone 5 trees, if not more so.

Here is a link that might be useful: TangOs II

Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, fruitnut, cough up that wish list, we're curious what you're wishing to add to your line up. Great idea, I'll give Grow Organic a call, too. Maybe I can persuade them to order a Crimson Royale for me :-) Or, Bay Laurel (thanks milehighgirl, great idea, I've ordered plenty from them in the past.) And, looks like Fowler's Nursery web site is down.

Patty S.

• franktank232
    10 years ago

MileHigh-

I looked at that one too... Really am tempted to add...

Is there a flat nectarine out there with yellow flesh?

10 years ago

Patty:

I don't have good reasons for these because DWN isn't good about answering home grower questions, even on their forum.

Early fruits:

Royal Tioga cherry because it's self fertile, possibly low chill, and earliest maturity.

Polar Light and Pearl Time low-acid white-flesh nectarines because I like most of the Arctic series and these seem to be the newest additions despite the name change.

Honey Lite low-acid yellow-flesh nectarine

Late fruits:

Honey Gem low-acid yellow-flesh nectarine because I like every Honey nectarine I've tried and this is the biggest and of a maturity date that should be superb fruit.

Fall Fiesta pluot because it's so late. I couldn't mature a good Flavorfall and this is even later but worth a try.

• olpea
    10 years ago

Fruitnut,

What do you think about Jupiter? For a while that seemed to be everyone's favorite seedless on this forum. Would you think any of those grapes you mentioned (Flame, Crimson, Summer Royal) work in a commercial planting (no drip irrigation)?

Milehigh,

In terms of grower problems with TangOs II, my understanding is that it's a bit more prone to scab and splitting. Both would probably not be a problem in CO since you typically have less rain and humidity (With all the rain we've received my Redhavens are splitting up a storm.) A peach grower about 30 miles away grows TangOs II and hasn't mentioned it's particularly hard to grow. I'm trialing the variety myself.

Frank,

Both the BuenOs and BuenOs II are red-skinned, yellow fleshed donuts. As mentioned BuenOs is sub-acid, but BuenOs II is supposed to be a full acid peach.

• franktank232
    10 years ago

Olpea-

Sounds good...i may put that on my list... I have Flat Wonderful...but not fruiting yet.

• Kevin Reilly
    10 years ago

"In 1996, Arctic Jay scored highest of all fruits in a blind taste test here at Dave Wilson Nursery. This freestone white-fleshed nectarine is richly flavored with a nice balance of acid and sugar. Arctic Jay sizes well and colors almost completely (80% 90% red over white background)."

I planted Arctic Jay last year and got about a dozen fruit this year. I found it really rich/sweet when fully ripe. I didn't find any acid balance in it. My wife thinks it's too sweet and I gave some to a friend who said it was the first fruit she ever thought was almost too sweet to eat. Maybe they are supposed to be picked earlier? I have to pick my Peter's Honey fig early too that is just too rich when fully ripe.

10 years ago

olpea:

I fruited Junpiter the last two years. It's almost uneatable for me in my greenhouse. The flesh is OK but the skin is awful. Maybe it's better elsewhere. I could list a lot of other hardy seedless I've tried. Canadice was about the best. I'm really not sure I tried Vanessa but have tried most of the others that have been out a while. Glenora had the best fruit but wasn't hardy in Amarillo.

I've got Flame, Summer Royal, Princess, Autumn Royal, and Crimson outdoors. We've had some rain lately and they are holding up OK. But in your climate they'd take a lot of spraying and bird netting. I know they've tried growing them at Stephenville near Dallas but I'm not sure how successfully. I think there are lots better choices.

• franktank232
    10 years ago

Fruit-

On a side note I ate 2 Splash pluots and i thought they were pure sugar...very little taste, except sweetness...maybe like a fruit punch sort of thing, sugared down...? I ate a few Flavor Supreme at the same time and I found those to be much better....

10 years ago

Frank:

I agree with your assessment. Cut down my Splash and Emerald Drop. Don't plan to replace them, not enough flavor. But will be increasing Flavor Supreme slightly....just what I can hand pollinate.