Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pics of mystery cherry

Posted by canadianplant (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 11:06

Turns out that the cherries that were reddish yellow werent ripe, and they have turned a nice red. Here are pics.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pics of mystery cherry

CP,

Looks like Northstar?

Tony

o

Canadian:

Is the fruit yellow fleshed or dark red fleshed? Just curious if the tree is an amarelle or morello type. The cherry partially eaten by a bird looks to be yellow fleshed?

I would net the tree now or all those luscious fruits will be gone in a day.

o

tonytran:

North Star was my first impression too. I have North Star in my cherry collection. It sure looks like it. That is why I was wondering about the flesh color. Judging from the stage of ripeness, it may be too early to tell the flesh color yet.

I never pick my North Star until the fruit is almost purple and the skin gets a glossy look to it.

o

The trees arent on my property other wise I would net them. They look good though. Next time I run over there I will have to grab a few and take a look.

o

Evans

o

Maybe Evans... fruit looks a little small for that, but could be the growing conditions. My Evans for comparison, August 10...
 photo Aug1014Evans2.jpg

photo Aug1014Evans5.jpg

o

You had a thread going about 10 day's ago on this mystery tree I believe, ...can't find it anymore, when I said, how about crab apple. I said this because in my mind, the tree was on city property, this tree seems to be on private land and nicely cared for, weeping tile on the trunk.

Agree with Don. Looks like cherries have a bug issue, [couple of dark spots].

o

Thanks everyone!

I couldnt find the other thread either, so I just started this one. The city does indeed plant crab apples. There arent many good things the city does, but it did release a pdf online about urbam forestry, listing pretty much all municipally planted trees, and even trial species (theyre trying ironbeam, some oaks, ginkgo and manchurian cork)

I am assuming the best way to ID is to grab some cherries and split them open?

o

Could you ask the owner?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here