Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pears brown in center

Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 26, 12 at 11:08

Our pear trees, about 8 years old, are now bearing fruit. We were eager to taste them and the outside was delicious, however when we bit down further, there was brown around the core. What causes this? A fungus? These trees were labeled as '3 variety' trees when we bought them. Any advice? Marg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pears brown in center

That happens with many types of pears when allowed to ripen on the tree- unless it's the result of codling moth, in which case the seeds would be eaten and you could see a tunnel.

Many varieties of pears need to be picked when still hard, stored for a couple weeks in the fridge and then ripened at room temp for about a week to soften. Otherwise they rot in the center by the time the outside is perfect or sometimes the flesh is very grainy.

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 26, 12 at 15:20

Thanks! I didn't know that about pears. We get very strong winds here sometimes and more than half the pears fell off the tree. Could we have collected them and put them in the frig? Marg

o

if they are sweet and hard. If they are still bitter they don't seem to improve a lot in my experience.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here