Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Uneven ripeness of pomegranates?

Posted by bstruss 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 4, 12 at 11:16

I have posted a picture and description of a Russian variety of pomegranates that I planted about 3 years ago, and now have 17 fruit that are filling out nicely, However, there seems to be darker red areas mostly on one side of the fruit, while much of it is green. Is this normal for some varieties?

Here is a link that might be useful: Pomegranates ripening on tree

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Uneven ripeness of pomegranates?

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 5, 12 at 20:39

If they are partially green -- they are not ripe yet. You might want to find out the name of your poms so that you can do some research on them. Just calling them a Russian variety doesn't help much. I have Wonderful and Angel Red poms and don't go by uniform color or sound when harvesting. They are ripe when there is no more green and the skin is taut like leather. The longer you let them sit on the tree without splitting, the better they will be. Harvest right away if they start to split.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pomegranate Tour

o
RE: Uneven ripeness of pomegranates?

Thanks, that is helpful. I knew there weren't ripe yet, but I also wondered whether the uneven color meant that they was something else amiss.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here