Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rasberry Plant Failing this year NY

Posted by Mikesurf none (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 11:21

I am in the 3rd year of harvesting rasberries. The first year obviously was when I planted them and I had an ok harvest. Last year was a great year where I could go out every morning for the summer and get a nice handful. This year it is been extremely weak. Just a few berries and many of the stalks have turned brown or the fruits just turn black, I do see some late bloomers so i'm hoping August is better. But it just doesnt look good.
I know it is a biennial so ca it just be that this is not a great year for it? We did have a cold spring ( NY area).
Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rasberry Plant Failing this year NY

I have the same thing this year. Plants started out great and look basically dead at this point.

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 17:18

Cold and damp conditions in the spring might have resulted in an overgrowth of fungal disease. If that is the case, it would be best to cut down and clean up the raspberry patch, and hope that it regenerates from the roots next spring.

o

Root disease is suspect in raspberries when previously young healthy plants decline in the following year.

o

Root disease for potted plants as well? Especially with 4 different plants in 4 diff pots?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here