Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blueberry bushes growing oddly

Posted by wneisler Zone 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 14, 12 at 11:22

These blueberry bushes were planted in late May of this year. The two varieties are Home Bell and Premier although I am not sure which one is which. Why is the one bush growing so bushy and so rapidly when the others are not? Is this normal? Do I need to prune it or cut off the bushy parts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blueberry bushes growing oddly

Here is a photo of it beside the normal looking bush.

o

I've never heard of Home Bell. But my first thought is are you sure that's all the blueberry bush? It looks more like a weed.

If they were the same size at planting that is amazing growth. More like a weed might do than a blueberry.

o

Sure would like to see a close up. Zooming in, the leaf shape and growth pattern almost looks like some type of verbena. Hard to say though from here.

o

Here's a closeup pic.

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 14, 12 at 14:38

The leaves and stems in the photo are not those found on any blueberry shrub that I have ever seen. We have several varieties growing in our yard, highbush, lowbush, and half-high. The stems are always woody, and the leaves are rounded, an entirely different shape.

o

Sorry to tell you that's not a blueberry. Not just the leaves, but those flowers are not right. It still looks like it might be a variety of verbena, although I'm certainly not an ornamental expert. I guess what you really wanted to know you got an answer for. It's not a blueberry :(

o

You could post it on the Name that Plant forum for an id. But it isn't a Blueberry, as the others have said.

Here is a link that might be useful: Name that Plant Forum.

o

It's got a name: weed. Get it out of there ;-)

o

Help!A weed ate my Blueberry!

o

LOL. Actually we grow lemon verbena which looks very similar which has great leaves for tea, so it may not be a total weed, ...unless you don't drink tea....

o

Well, I guess I got my answer! Is it common for weeds to come with bushes in the pot from the nursery? There is no way this is a volunteer. It had to come with the blueberry bush.

o

Is the blueberry bush buried in there somewhere?

o

Not to be funny, and I know I'm dating myself by saying this, but did you ever hear of a movie called The Day of the Triffid's?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_of_the_Triffids

o

You mean the 1951 novel? ;)

o

Now I don't feel so bad :-)

o

I have a blueberry that is for sure a blueberry that does something almost as crazy, I cut it back and it grows like a week and has tiny little berries on it too.........I think it's a northcountry.

o

Actually, I have one blueberry bush also that puts out a ton of canes and low growth each year like that, but never grows tall. Not sure what it is, label is gone and I don't have a record of it. Could be a northcountry too. Luckily, it's also my most productive berry producer as well, so must love it's environment.

o

I would like to see a picture of it Capo if you have a chance. I have two of them and they grow like crazy, super easy to keep going but the berries are smaller than a pea and I don't know why. This year I tried thinning the berries and it helped a little but they still weren't very big. Here is a picture of mine from last year when I still had it in a container. I cut half of it off this past winter and it's every bit as big again.

This is a three year old northcountry growing in pure peat. The plant has literally doubled in size this summer following three applications of ammonium sulf at one ounce per treatment. Right now it looks a bit tired because it's been so hot. As you can see I'm not watering the grass behind it, lol.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here