Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kendraschmidt_gw

Planting BLACKBERRIES, Please help!

KendraSchmidt
11 years ago

Hello.

I would like to plant BLACKBERRY vines (someone mentioned earlier that they're instead called "canes"?) on a small hill. At the very top of the hill, there is a climbing rose (that I really don't want there, but I don't have the ability to move it yet).

Just beneath the roses, I would like to be able to plant my BLACKBERRIES, since this is the only area that really gets full sun.

This means the water that I use to feed the roses can go downhill too and end up feeding the blackberries.

Is this doable? I would like to avoid removing the roses for now, since I don't have the means to do that just yet. (I prefer Crepe Myrtle to Roses, which is what I would eventually like to put there when I have the means).

So I can plant the blackberries further down the hill, just below the roses? The blackberries require sandier more acidic soil, with a ph of 4 to 5 (from what I read)

Please help!

Comments (8)

• KendraSchmidt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I should specify that these blackberries look vine-like in the sense that they grow long and flop over my bannister. Does anyone even know what kind of blueberry it's called? (Cane/vine/erect/semi-erect?)

• gator_rider2
    11 years ago

Blackberries require 6.0 to 7.0 ph the 4 & 5 for blueberries they do require sandy soil with enuff organic mater to turn sand black are close to black. Blackberries heavy feeder they feed almost any fertilizer are compost with value.

Does vine growing on Bannister have thorns do have photo?

Blackberries like top hill so plant as close to top as can.

Rose and blackberries are in same plant family if rose doing well so will blackberry plants.

• Noogy
    11 years ago

Kendra you're gonna get a shock collar first, put it around your head, and next time you say BLUEBERRY, ZAP.
    HAHAHA.
    Sounds like the blackberry you're referring to is semi-erect.
    Fertilize with fish emulsion 10-5-5, mulch.
    Water 2X a week
    Good luck

• KendraSchmidt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good gosh, Noogy, I did it AGAIN!! Lol! What is going on with me!?? I mean BLACKBERRIES, everyone!

Haha, for crying out loud!

• KendraSchmidt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gator, no the blackberries that I have don't have thorns on them. I'm going to take a picture and post it up. The plant is still in its small pot, but each "vine" is becoming quite long.

• Noogy
    11 years ago

Kendra,
    You've gotten bit by the plant bug. It'll take a while for you to get back to normal. I love blackberries. I can never accumulate enough to make it to the house with enough to do something with! What type do you have?
    noogy

• KendraSchmidt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gator Rider, I've posted a few photos below of my Blackberry vine. It doesn't have thorns, it's a thornless variety.

The problem is that the roses have their own little soil patch. Then there's sand. Instead of just sand/gravel, I'd like to place the blackberries there.

Any suggestions on the soil combination necessary? (Preferably something simple...getting lime, etc is a lot of work and money that I can't afford right now).

I hope the photos are able to help.

{{gwi:122487}}

{{gwi:122488}}

{{gwi:122489}}

• Noogy
    11 years ago

Kendra,
    It looks like you might have a trailing BBerry. I wish to know what kind it is as that will determine how you want to set it up. Looks good though. Are you container gardening? I see you're up high.