Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Forcing low branches on new sweet Cherry?

Posted by lsoh 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 11:31

I grow plants in pots, so I want low branching.

I just bought a black gold Cherry tree. (Normally, I buy bare root via mail order in the spring, but happened to be in the neighborhood of a "real" nursery while traveling.)

The tree is about 2.5 feet tall. It has a dozen leaves, each directly off the trunk, distributed fairly evenly about the trunk. There is a small hard bud-like spike in the crotch between each leaf steam and trunk. Will these become branches? (There are no other branches on the tree.)

I am generally aware that If I cut a young tree off, it should force low branches (or kill the tree). A couple of years ago I held my breath and cut a young plum tree off at about 18" and it did indeed force low branching. But maybe the existing features are in fact the beginning of actual branches. If so, the tree is already looking like it would have well distributed low branches and I won't cut the tree off.

What do you think?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Forcing low branches on new sweet Cherry?

I cut a sweet cherry (5 years old) off at ground level and it has since sprouted a bunch of new shoots out)....these would be the rootstock, which i believe is Gisela...

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 12:26

Head it back next spring. That will force more buds than any other time. If it has visible buds down low it should push several branches next spring. The number will depend on vigor of the tree. If you don't get enough next spring cut it off again the following spring. On a potted tree you don't need many. Should get those next year.

o

Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here