Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Disease on Asian pear trees

Posted by JIMMY_SAYAVONG 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 11:38

I have two Asian pear trees grown on my backyard -- Hosui and 20th century. There are about 7 yrs old, and have been producing fruits every year. I live in Dallas, TX. My main problem is that I have been fighting fireblight disease every single year, mainly shoot strike in early spring (May - June). My estimate is that I loose about 50-80% crop due to fireblight every year. I did some research on the Internet, and somebody suggested to spray liquid copper during dormant. I did that last year and it did not appear to make any improvement.

My question is: Does any body in this forum know any "proven" or perhaps a "silver bullet" method to address this issue? I am really running out of idea on what to do next.

Recently , in mid July, I have some sort of leaf fungus (see photo). I am suspecting it might be some residue left over from the last fireblight strike ??

Thanks,

Jimmy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Disease on Asian pear trees

There is something that will help. It's an antibiotic powder you mix with water and spray all the tree with. I spray my pears just before the hot and humid weather sets in. I've had good results so far. I'll have to get back to you with name, I'll have to dig it up out in the shop.

o

It's been a bad year for fireblight here. Even my moonglow and Shinko pears have been hit hard. If you find a solution, let me know!

o

The name of the stuff is "Fire Blight Spray" from ferti-lome. The main ingredient is Streptomycin Sulfate. It's kinda expensive at $13.00 for 2 ozs. I spray all the tree and trunk till runoff. If it rains I repeat. Like I said, it's been really effective for me and you can make 25 gallons from the 2 oz. jar. Good luck next year.

o

Thanks JustJohn,
I am appreciated any helps/suggestions you may have to
tackle this problem.

Regards,

Jimmy

o

JustJohn,
I attached is the photo of the product you suggested, is it
the right one? I will try next season.

o

Yes, that's it. I would cut off all infected limbs and burn or get them as far away as possible. Next spring use the ferti-lome. I hope this helps, it has for me so far.

o

I found the article on the internet in regard to Fireblight Control.
Sounds like the antibiotic streptomycin is the most effective material for controlling fire blight which appears to be in agreement with the ingredient you suggested above.

Here is the link:
http://ipm.illinois.edu/fruits/diseases/fire_blight/index.html

I am very anxious to try it out next spring !

o

JustJohn, I found this product on the web. Do you know anything about this? it seems like it has the same ingredient as the one made by Fertilome. Let me know what you think. I think it is cheaper considering it is such a large bag.

o

Looks like a lot to buy, probably last several years. I'd try the fertilome small container first. I don't know, but that large bag may lose it's strength before you could use it all.

o

I saw fireblight when I lived in So California.

Your tree doesn't appear to have it. My thoughts would be perhaps heat and drought stress and/or pear leaf blister mites.

o

jean001a, you were probably right, the disease shown in the photo might not be fire blight. The photo was taken in July 2013, and I presume the fire blight strike was already over then. But I do have fire blight disease every year on my pear trees (around May-June time frame), most of time is shoot strike.

I find that a pear tree is one of the (if not the most) high maintenance tree anybody ever grows !! but it would be a rewarding results if one can overcome this problem.

JIMMY

o

Justjohn,
Here we go again preparing for a new growing season. As you and I had communicated before, and you suggested using the fertilome to prevent the fireblight. I already have a bottle of fertilome ready. Attached is my pear tree as of 3/17/2014. I assume that I have to wait few more days until flowers had completely opened up before I can spray the chemical, right? I can't afford to have the same problem as last year, and that is why I would like to consult with the pro's, like you as close as possible so that I would not go off track.

Jimmy

o

Jimmy,
How are your asian pears responding to the fertilome treatment you are using this spring? My 3 year old Hosui is showing its first signs of fireblight this spring. I would hate to lose it--it has been lovingly espaliered to my wrought iron fence, to good effect. My 20th century nearby so far shows no sign of the disease.

o

So far all three trees (Hosui, 20th century, Giant Korean) show no sign of fireblight. The fruits about the size of a cherry . I am keeping my fingers crossed!!

o

Swakyaby,
How are your pears trees in regard to fireblight disease?
This year none of mine has fireblight so far. I don't know if it is because of fertilome treatment or the disease is taking a break this season. That is why I want to find out how yours are doing.

Jimmy

o

My 3 year old 20th Century is doing well without signs of fireblight. But my 3 year old Hosui is doing badly despite aggressive cutting off of affected branches, now with blackened areas on the main trunk as well. This is hugely disappointing; I thought I would have more time, but it appears too late to save this tree.

I am interested in knowing the details of your successful preventative treatment using Fertilome. At what stage of flowering did you start spraying? Did you drench the entire tree or just the flowers? How often did you reapply? I plan to try this on my 20th Century next year. I think my Hosui is a goner.

o

Swakyaby,

Sorry for late reply. Luckily, All my trees are still OK.
They are lots of fruits indeed. In regard to the Fertilome treatments, my first application was at the time when they started blooming (when flowers start opening up), and followed by every 2wks or so for about 1 month.
I used the orthro dial N spray Sprayer (the one that you can attach to a garden hose) that way you cover the whole tree easily.
Hope this helps,

This post was edited by JIMMY_SAYAVONG on Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 22:13

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here