Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimmy_sayavong

Disease on Asian pear trees

JIMMY_SAYAVONG
10 years ago

I have two Asian pear trees grown on my backyard -- Hosui and 20th century. There are about 7 yrs old, and have been producing fruits every year. I live in Dallas, TX. My main problem is that I have been fighting fireblight disease every single year, mainly shoot strike in early spring (May - June). My estimate is that I loose about 50-80% crop due to fireblight every year. I did some research on the Internet, and somebody suggested to spray liquid copper during dormant. I did that last year and it did not appear to make any improvement.

My question is: Does any body in this forum know any "proven" or perhaps a "silver bullet" method to address this issue? I am really running out of idea on what to do next.

Recently , in mid July, I have some sort of leaf fungus (see photo). I am suspecting it might be some residue left over from the last fireblight strike ??

Thanks,

Jimmy

Comments (40)

• justjohn
    10 years ago

There is something that will help. It's an antibiotic powder you mix with water and spray all the tree with. I spray my pears just before the hot and humid weather sets in. I've had good results so far. I'll have to get back to you with name, I'll have to dig it up out in the shop.

• maryhawkins99
    10 years ago

It's been a bad year for fireblight here. Even my moonglow and Shinko pears have been hit hard. If you find a solution, let me know!

• justjohn
    10 years ago

The name of the stuff is "Fire Blight Spray" from ferti-lome. The main ingredient is Streptomycin Sulfate. It's kinda expensive at $13.00 for 2 ozs. I spray all the tree and trunk till runoff. If it rains I repeat. Like I said, it's been really effective for me and you can make 25 gallons from the 2 oz. jar. Good luck next year.

• JIMMY_SAYAVONG
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks JustJohn,
    I am appreciated any helps/suggestions you may have to
    tackle this problem.

Regards,

Jimmy

• JIMMY_SAYAVONG
    Original Author
    10 years ago

JustJohn,
    I attached is the photo of the product you suggested, is it
    the right one? I will try next season.

• justjohn
    10 years ago

Yes, that's it. I would cut off all infected limbs and burn or get them as far away as possible. Next spring use the ferti-lome. I hope this helps, it has for me so far.

• JIMMY_SAYAVONG
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I found the article on the internet in regard to Fireblight Control.
    Sounds like the antibiotic streptomycin is the most effective material for controlling fire blight which appears to be in agreement with the ingredient you suggested above.

Here is the link:
    http://ipm.illinois.edu/fruits/diseases/fire_blight/index.html

I am very anxious to try it out next spring !

• JIMMY_SAYAVONG
    Original Author
    10 years ago

JustJohn, I found this product on the web. Do you know anything about this? it seems like it has the same ingredient as the one made by Fertilome. Let me know what you think. I think it is cheaper considering it is such a large bag.

• justjohn
    10 years ago

Looks like a lot to buy, probably last several years. I'd try the fertilome small container first. I don't know, but that large bag may lose it's strength before you could use it all.

• jean001a
    10 years ago

I saw fireblight when I lived in So California.

Your tree doesn't appear to have it. My thoughts would be perhaps heat and drought stress and/or pear leaf blister mites.

• JIMMY_SAYAVONG
    Original Author
    10 years ago

jean001a, you were probably right, the disease shown in the photo might not be fire blight. The photo was taken in July 2013, and I presume the fire blight strike was already over then. But I do have fire blight disease every year on my pear trees (around May-June time frame), most of time is shoot strike.

I find that a pear tree is one of the (if not the most) high maintenance tree anybody ever grows !! but it would be a rewarding results if one can overcome this problem.

JIMMY

• JIMMY_SAYAVONG
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Justjohn,
    Here we go again preparing for a new growing season. As you and I had communicated before, and you suggested using the fertilome to prevent the fireblight. I already have a bottle of fertilome ready. Attached is my pear tree as of 3/17/2014. I assume that I have to wait few more days until flowers had completely opened up before I can spray the chemical, right? I can't afford to have the same problem as last year, and that is why I would like to consult with the pro's, like you as close as possible so that I would not go off track.

Jimmy

• swakyaby
    10 years ago

Jimmy,
    How are your asian pears responding to the fertilome treatment you are using this spring? My 3 year old Hosui is showing its first signs of fireblight this spring. I would hate to lose it--it has been lovingly espaliered to my wrought iron fence, to good effect. My 20th century nearby so far shows no sign of the disease.

• JIMMY_SAYAVONG
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So far all three trees (Hosui, 20th century, Giant Korean) show no sign of fireblight. The fruits about the size of a cherry . I am keeping my fingers crossed!!

• JIMMY_SAYAVONG
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Swakyaby,
    How are your pears trees in regard to fireblight disease?
    This year none of mine has fireblight so far. I don't know if it is because of fertilome treatment or the disease is taking a break this season. That is why I want to find out how yours are doing.

Jimmy

• swakyaby
    9 years ago

My 3 year old 20th Century is doing well without signs of fireblight. But my 3 year old Hosui is doing badly despite aggressive cutting off of affected branches, now with blackened areas on the main trunk as well. This is hugely disappointing; I thought I would have more time, but it appears too late to save this tree.

I am interested in knowing the details of your successful preventative treatment using Fertilome. At what stage of flowering did you start spraying? Did you drench the entire tree or just the flowers? How often did you reapply? I plan to try this on my 20th Century next year. I think my Hosui is a goner.

• JIMMY_SAYAVONG
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Swakyaby,

Sorry for late reply. Luckily, All my trees are still OK.
    They are lots of fruits indeed. In regard to the Fertilome treatments, my first application was at the time when they started blooming (when flowers start opening up), and followed by every 2wks or so for about 1 month.
    I used the orthro dial N spray Sprayer (the one that you can attach to a garden hose) that way you cover the whole tree easily.
    Hope this helps,

This post was edited by JIMMY_SAYAVONG on Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 22:13

• JIMMY_SAYAVONG
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good fruit crops this year. Life is lot easier without fireblight !

• JIMMY_SAYAVONG
    Original Author
    9 years ago

More photo of this year crops.

• JIMMY_SAYAVONG
    Original Author
    9 years ago

More photo.

• JIMMY_SAYAVONG
    Original Author
    9 years ago

More photo.

• swakyaby
    9 years ago

The difference is impressive. About the bird netting, have you found some birds are attracted to your pears?

• JIMMY_SAYAVONG
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yep, without the net mockingbirds would destroy them ..

• clearestbigbluesky
    9 years ago

Can you guys help me with figuring out what this disease is ? Would those antibiotics help ?

I have 3 trees... a YaLi, Seuri and a Korean Giant. The YaLi and Seuri have the disease. The KG is healthy and is producing lots of fruit. This is our third summer season. The sick ones have very little fruit.

The YaLi has the spots and the leaves at the end of the branches look sickly, browning or maybe eaten. It's planted over an ground up stump and I wonder if that was hurting it.

The Seuri just has the spots.

This post was edited by clearestbigbluesky on Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 13:54

• clearestbigbluesky
    9 years ago

This is the Seuri

• appleseed70
    9 years ago

Jimmy...that is indeed a VERY impressive result using the streptomycin! What was the cost of the product? Did you go with the 2 oz. bottle or the larger bag?

• JIMMY_SAYAVONG
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I used the 2 oz bottle., and still 1/2 or so left.

Jimmy

• jimmy_sayavong1
    9 years ago

As of 3/21/2015, Here again, my hosui pear tree produces lots of flowers !!! See photo.
    I will start spraying the streptomycin in the next few days a soon as it stops raining.
    I hope I can get the same success as last year.

JIMMY

• jimmy_sayavong1
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Quick update on my hosui and 20th century. As of 7/2/2015, the trees are doing well, no serious fireblight.

• rphcfb14
    8 years ago

Jimmy,

Since Houzz took over this site, most of frequent posters have moved to a new site created by Scott Smith. You can google it by putting in Scott Smith plus growing fruit. You will find familiar names there.

• maryhawkins99
    8 years ago

Jimmy congratulations! I didn't use fertilome and every pear and apple tree was infected this year in mckinney.

• jimmy_sayavong1
    8 years ago

Hi rphcfb14,
    I could not locate "Scott Smith's new site from goggle search.
    Could you tell me the link to the site?
    Thanks,

• rphcfb14
    8 years ago

Houzz does not like it when we link the site. It has blocked people who did so. Try google, Scott Smith, growing fruit.

Using a comma after his name. It should work.

• jimmy_sayavong1
    8 years ago

Thanks rphcfb14,
    I am now enrolled in Scott Smith's new site.
    You were right !! It is the place where lots of fruit tree experts hanging out ...
    So this is will be my last visit at this site.

• Josephine Ball
    8 years ago

My tree shed leaves in October but now has lots of new fruit. I have no gardening skills but isn't that odd?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    8 years ago

Odd? Yes. In fact it's impossible if the tree hasn't recently flowered. There's some observation or information missing here. Are we even sure it's an Asian pear?

I suggest you start a new post with this question. Include where the tree is located and photographs if at all possible.

• clarkinks
    8 years ago

Fireblight is a serious problem that fertilome and others will help with. My approach is to slowly graft things over to resistant stock. Antibiotics use in agriculture might not be our best long term practice. I to use it for fireblight when the tree is in bloom on trees not resistant to FB.

• Josephine Ball
    8 years ago

This is a photo of my asian pear tree, I am in Los Angeles. Leaves fell in October, now I have fruit. You asked me to submit picture, questioning if it is Asain Pear, I've had it for over five years now and ate good fruit from it. Comment please?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Josephine, this is getting confusing because you are adding to an old thread about fireblight with new questions about a different topic.

I suggest again that you begin a new thread with your own topic. FWIW the fruit on your tree don't look new. They appear to be old fruit still hanging on after leaf drop which is not that unusual.