Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nyrockfarmer

Pixie Cot genetic dwarf apricot

nyRockFarmer
9 years ago

Anyone have this tree or tried the fruit? I'm wondering if it might be a good option for potting an apricot.

Comments (6)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

I haven't tried it but you don't need a dwarf for a pot. Choose the same variety you would for planting in-ground. In NY Tomcot would be a good choice.

• nyRockFarmer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

True... but would a potted genetic dwarf be more compact, productive, and healthier than a regular potted tree?

9 years ago

More compact, maybe but a normal apricot on standard root doesn't get too big. I've fruited Cot-N-Candy on Citation in a 3 gal pot. The fruit was up to 26 brix.

More productive, not likely. Production is mostly about light interception. You can do as well with a standard tree.

No reason to think it would be healthier. That's partly rootstock but also brown rot and bacterial spot resistance. Tomcot is proven in the east to be a good producer and relatively disease free. Most CA bred cots like Pixie Cot aren't.

• Fascist_Nation
    9 years ago

I agree, pick whatever cultivar you want. Since you are supposed to repot (root prune) containerized trees every 3-4 years a true genetic dwarf may buy you an additional year between prunings. Should that be your deciding factor?

Besides, genetic dwarfs are grafted onto standard rootstock like Lovell. [edit: Of course now that I said that Pixie-cot comes on Citation, a semi-dwarfing rootstock (3/4). lol] ;-)

This post was edited by Fascist_Nation on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 16:47

• nyRockFarmer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"I've fruited Cot-N-Candy on Citation in a 3 gal pot." - fruitnut

Wow! Only 3 gallons? I was thinking a 20 gallon pot would be too small. Do you apply micronutrients to the soil in addition to macronutrient fertilizers? Going that small it almost seems like a hydroponic approach.

9 years ago

That's in a greenhouse watered every day in summer. Mostly miracle grow complete fertilizer. Just enough to get some growth. 15 gal is big enough.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio