Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lula avocado leaves browning and dropping off (insect pest?)

Posted by wardog25 9b (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 11:47

My lula avocado leaves get brown blotches, then drop off. Underneath the leaves, I can never see live insects, but always find little black dots. MANY of the leaves on the tree look like this. The black dots are not part of the leaf, they are just stuck to it, similar to insect eggs or husks or something like that.

See the picture to see both a browning leaf and the black dots.

Is this an insect causing this? The tree has lost half of its leaves this summer due to this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lula avocado leaves browning and dropping off (insect pest?)

The browning is sun damage.
I can't see sufficient detail to know what the black things are. Perhaps aphids?

o

I would agree about the browning except for one thing: Everywhere there is browning, there are black things on the undersides of the leaves.

I scraped a lot of the black things off and finally found one that moved. So they are bugs. Anyone know anything about avocado lace bugs?

o

A search with "avocado lace bug" as the search phrase (but without quotes) turns up info

This from Univ CA
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74134.html

This from UFL
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/in166

Here is a link that might be useful: avocado lace bug from UFL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here