Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Interesting characteristic of malathion

Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 4, 12 at 11:50

Came across this detail in one of MSU's newsletters.

"Malathion sprayed on strawberry flowers decreased to 2.70 percent of the initial concentration within two days of application." [in hot weather]

I knew Malathion was short lived, but not that short. A 3% residue after only 2 days? No wonder multipurpose sprays that use Malathion are so ineffective.

(Don't know why the tests were done on flowers since you'd want to avoid spraying blooms.)

Here is a link that might be useful: MSU - Counteracting adverse weather effects on deposition and degradation of insecticides

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Interesting characteristic of malathion

That is crazy. No sense in using something unless you plan on spraying daily.

Olpea-
Do you use Acetamiprid? If you do (or have used), what are your thoughts? I might try using it for PC next spring.

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 4, 12 at 17:41

Frank,

I do use Acetamiprid (Assail). It's still classified as a reduced-risk pesticide and it is much less toxic to bees than some other neonics that are suspected to play a role in CCD.

I don't think I'd try it for PC though. It's not rated as good as the pyrethroids for PC. I had pretty good luck w/ my pyrethroid (Mustang Max) for PC. Had some PC damage on plums, but none on any other stone or pome fruits (that I've noticed).

Just harvested some Green Gage plums and saw a few PC scars (maybe 5%).

o

they probably tested on flowers b/c of the bees. depends on what different combo of plants you're growing, you can have fruit and blooms at the same time, and also pests that feed on sap/leaves during blooms.

i use the broad spectrum sprays in the evening as the sun is going down, to minimize exposure to the bees.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here