Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf Apple Trees for zone 3

Posted by lavender_lass WA zone 3/4 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 28, 09 at 11:56

I'd like to get two small apple trees to put in the back of my nieces' fairy garden. It's a perennial garden with a grass path in between the two beds. One bed is against the house and the other borders a grassy area. I want to put two apple trees, no higher than 10' tall and 8'wide behind the bed, on the edge of the grassy area. Underneath, I want to plant chives, a few bulbs and some vinca. This is really more for fun and shade than a lot of apples. (I have a nice large apple tree on the other side of the house that gives us more apples than we can use.) Any suggestions on a couple of cold hardy smaller apple trees? It gets pretty cold here, so my biggest concern is that they do well through the winter. I don't care what color the apples are and I don't mind if they're a little tart or small, but crabapples look too wide for my space. Thanks for the input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarf Apple Trees for zone 3

You might find Edible Forest Nursery's web site informative. He specializes in apples for Zone 2 and the colder portions of Zone 3.

You could try something on Bud.9 rootstock, which is the size you want, and which should be hardy as long as you have snow cover or mulch during the winter. Edible Forest and Cummins both sell trees on Bud 9. Honeycrisp and Zestar are both hardy in your zone and make excellent eating apples.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here