Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peach Tree Autopsy

Posted by Appleseed70 6 MD (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 11:57

This is a Paul Friday selection PF 35-007 Fat Lady. I bought this tree because of it's reported resistance to bacterial spot. However after talking to Paul Friday himself, I was left with the impression that this resistance is so-so at best.
This would have been the tree's second year but it died about 6 weeks ago. I had seen vole tunneling all around the tree beginning in very early spring. When it died, I suspected vole damage due to it's rapid decline in vigor, wilting, leaf shedding and ultimate death.
I finally got around to digging it out this morning to "autopsy" the roots for suspected vole damage. The results did not disappoint as it was very apparent most roots had been chewed off. Of course, some did get broken during removal, but these are easy to distinguish from the older damage from gnawing.
I hate voles.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peach Tree Autopsy

root damage, note nearly all tiny feeder roots are gone.

o

clear evidence of chew-thru

o

roots

o

in this photo you can see where some roots were broken off during the trees removal. I should have zoomed in better so you could better see the difference between the fresh broken roots and older vole damage. Seems the voles were satisfied after the tree was dead and no longer tunneled around this tree.

o

last photo

o

Wow..not much for roots there!

I was reading, vole populations can vary and have peaks every so many years (3 to 6?)...i had a huge outbreak of them many years ago (I think i killed 20 that summer), and the past few years i've seen very few (mostly in the late fall trying to get in my garage)...this year (summer) i've killed 10 so far. I use those easy set plastic kill traps baited with small pieces of APPLE. Peanut butter works, but its messy and the ants find it.

I've never seen issues like that. Most of my vole damage is winter gnawing below the snow line.

o

Frank what is the manufacturer of these traps? Cost? Where do you set them. I tried the mouse traps w/peanut butter under a bucket with a brick on top...coons I guess flipped the buckets over. Never caught a thing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here