Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this powdey Mildew on my cantaloupe plant and What should I do

Posted by hot_roses9 none (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 11:58

I noticed this a little while ago but it wasn't spreading and now it is and it is starting to affect a lot of the cantaloupe leaves. What should I do? Should I just cut off the affected leaves because there are some young leaves growing that are not affected. Also, is the fruit that is growing going to be ok even thought the plant is affected by it.

Thank you for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this powdey Mildew on my cantaloupe plant and What should

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 12:19

The leaves lower left, uniform whitish look, are possibly PM. The leaves further back with spots are probably something else. The fruit will be good if the plant retains enough leaves.

Good info linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: PM management

o

I've had really good results this year using Immunox on PM

o

Yes, that is powdery Mildew. You can trim the worst ones and begin treatment. I'm using Neem oil which calls for 2 T/gallon dilution then every day treatment for one week, then once a week thereafter. Continue to prune the worst leaves. Waaa!

o

• Posted by danzeb 7a long island (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 14:50

I've used a version of the Cornell formula once a week and it worked for me to keep the powdery mildew under control. Leaves need to be completely cover with the spray. I make 1 qt at a time in a spray bottle since I only need to spray a few squash plants.
Add to 1 quart of water:
1 tsp baking soda (potassium bicarbonate may work better)
2 tbs cotton seed oil (some other horticultural oil can be used)
1 drop of soap

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here