Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ants taking over need help!

Posted by john222-gg ms./8 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 18, 12 at 11:59

I have a small orchard on 3/4 acre.I have red ants & sugar ants.Have tried every thing I know of.They just move over and start again.There use to be some poison you could get at the co-op years ago.not anymore.Need HELP.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ants taking over need help!

What do you mean by "taking over?"

o

I have sprayed with every thing I can find. The ants climb my trees kill any blooms when trees are in bloom they cover figs as soon as they start to ripen.You should not have to spray every other day if you have mulch around trees they build homes in it.If you go out after a rain you will find 5 or 6 new mounds.The ants are real bad on jujubes when they are in bloom.This year is just about over but I need to plan for next year.

o

I use Triacide it works fine they don't need to eat to get poisned it destrys their nerves.

o

Someone posted a similar question here about a month ago. One response was a link to a video where the tree trunk was wrapped a few inches and smeared with a sticky substance.

I tried that and it really helped my ant problem.

o

After being sure that ants have no way to reach the canopy of your trees, other than walking up the trunk; 2 thick bands of Tanglefoot, can be smeared onto it. Be sure there are no weeds, bushes or grasses that provide access above those bands and they should be stopped completely.
This is a simple strategy that works for caterpillars and similar pests as well. :)

o

If lots are trekking up the tree, likely you have one or more kinds of pests up there which produce honeydew. Choose from aphids, scale, mealybugs and, oh yes, over-ripe fruits.

o

We had this stubborn ant problem too. We NUKED everything. Inside and out. Lo and behold as we were sitting on our patio I looked up to see the shimmering power lines, and thought it strange. I looked closely and realized it was a grand march of black carpenter ants that were using the powerlines to cross the ROAD, and were nested on the other side!
I found their stash of eggs and that was that.
Unbelievable, but true.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here