Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fertilizing Blackberries

Posted by SgtKarl 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 7, 12 at 11:59

Hello All,

I have some 2 year old Kiowa blackberries that I need to apply fertilizer to help primocane growth. But here in Oklahoma the temp is 100 - 110 everyday. They are getting water but would the fertilizer put too much stress on the plants in this heat or just wait a month or so for the temps to come down. Thanks for your help.

Karl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fertilizing Blackberries

I would be very careful fertilizing after August. I fertilized a small fig first of September and it never stopped growing. A late November frost knocked all the leaves off. It put out new growth and got hit with frost again, did this 2 more times and then died. You don't want to push a lot of new growth going into the winter. I don't know if fertilizer would stress it in the heat.

o

Did your primocanes come out thinner and weaker than last year's florocanes?

o

Yeah, I wouldn't put fertilizer on this late in the season. It may just push growth that wouldn't harden off properly. Best way to improve growth is to fertilize with ammonium sulfate in the spring, and remove all flowers for that year. It's amazing how much blueberries grow without flowers.

o

Capoman you must have blueberries on the brain.

o

SgtKarl

Fertilize your blackberry plants today cooler temp coming down and so is growth coming back. Remember Blackberry plant fall in class as Heavy Feeder you grow larger root system if any fertilizer left in soil over winter spring brake out have larger flowers and larger leave this make more sugar and sweeter berry. Spring at 5% bloom is next fertilization that 4 days after you see first bloom on all plants then again at 100% bloom this make berries bigger and give great start on new canes after harvest another application I just gave 4 applications in year for Blackberries this take care heavy feeding of plants. I put out chicken mature 3 tons to acre in December and 4 application during year 10-10-10 on sandy land.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here