Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for sweet cherry scion wood for Spring

Posted by andyinnyc 6/NJ (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 12:07

I am located in Mercer County, NJ (near Princeton). My Dave Wilson 4-1 cherry was decimated by the deer ($!#*(' deer!).

So, while the rootstock is still very much alive I will need to regraft the tree in the Spring.

I'm looking for multiple varieties of scion wood to regraft.

I know that I am really early (not requesting cuttings until the trees go dormant), but I wanted to start a dialog with some growers so that I can have an idea of what I may have when the time comes.

I'm willing to pay postage, etc. and hoping to get the tree restarted.

So, let me know if you have a cherry that is aimed for the Northeast (not interested in growing a pretty tree without edible cherries ) and may have some cuttings available come Fall/Winter.

Andrew

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for sweet cherry scion wood for Spring

I have an emperor francis sweet cherry tree. It is the last of my sweet cherry trees left. The rest got destroyed by cherry leaf spot and root rot. Cherry trees are high maintenance because of the deer's preference for cherry, fungal diseases of the leaf and soil, japanese beetles, and the birds and squirrels at harvest. Cage it in with wire to stop the deer. Keep in mind that there are cherry plant patents in effect on many cherry varieties. Consider tart cherries they are a little easier for home gardeners to have a good crop.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here