Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mango resin

Posted by jones_87 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 12:12

Hi!

About 2,5 years ago i planted a mango from seed. Its been standing in my window sill and occasionally outside on my balcony. The soil is a mix of general garden soil and coco. I live in Norway(6) so this project is most likely not to be succesful. But I give it ago anyways..

Recently my mango plant started to make some resin underneath the leafs. I�ve tasted this sticky stuff and its somehow sweet to the taste. The bees seem to enjoy this resin and whenever I but my mongo outside they come flying.

But whats does this resin mean? Hormonal shift related to fruiting? Defence against pests? Getting rid of sugars due to salty soil?

I hope someone here could give me an answer of whats causing this.

Picture links:
https://photos-6.dropbox.com/t/0/AAB_pqsfadzlJCbkeVyszCk9OQzNWZgnthA6n5l1ioDwIQ/12/206600624/jpeg/32x32/3/_/1/2/bilde.JPG/Cq3FWSpHiVzD6TUrrx66nse9v2b6bH6mIaY7PBxZz78?size=1600x1200

+bee
https://photos-5.dropbox.com/t/0/AADoIlxP3pZZTXM6BzTJI6F3OK5Y8gjcmboKKVuTZOdcYQ/12/206600624/jpeg/32x32/3/_/1/2/bilde-1.JPG/hib06W-aWuOidKUrvPvI_o8Jyp7_t5zDfhCzdi8e1w0?size=1600x1200

Jones

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mango resin

Any chance you can put one of those links in the box for "optional URL?"

When the url is in the message, it adds spaces which, in this case, are challenging to locate in such long urls.

o

Looks like dropbox requires sign-in, can't see images even with spaces removed.

o

Mango sap acts like low-potency poison ivy to many persons. When we were bad little boys in the marginal tropics we would use it to that effect on the thought-to-be deserving.

BTW: I think it's nuts to click on a hidden URL posted on a public board. I like seeing the whole address. I post addresses in the text block too, to conveniently reassure others who are wary.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here