Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
earliest I can pick peaches / plums? (raccoon issues)

Posted by david52 z5CO (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 7, 08 at 12:14

I have a 30 assorted fruit tree orchard, and live at the head of a long, swampy draw that harbors umpty-gazillion raccoons. I trap them, shoot them, and generally fight a war with them, but it just never stops. They break off the branches, and last year probably nailed 7/8 th of the total harvest.

The trees are located in several areas around the place, and it would be difficult, to say the least, and certainly expensive to put electric fence around the various groupings of trees.

So, I try to pick the under-ripe fruit before they get it. Some years this works - the result isn't a tree-ripened peach or plum, but not bad at all. And some years, picked at the same, visual stage of ripeness, I get some kind of shrunken, rock-hard tasteless fruit.

Is there a better way to judge this? Particularly for peaches? They're in them already -

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: earliest I can pick peaches / plums? (raccoon issues)

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 7, 08 at 12:55

Hi David, no easy answer if you're selling these fruits esp with raccoons as they are as nimble as cats. If you just want some fruits for yourself maybe you can concentrate your efforts on protecting just a couple of trees and "allow" the other trees to be easier for them to raid? Oddly I fought off racoons when I lived in the city but so far 5 years in the county none to be found, yet. The city racoons would strip my corn and all I could do is trap them. Maybe you could try my method of "marking" a couple of your trees, sprikling the "solution" around and on the trunk and some limbs to keep them from climbing, then they'd move on to the other sacraficial trees.

o

Ah, vgkg, the raccoons here are onto that "marking with a solution" game - so far as to do this to me. Often, I'll awake, stretch, fling open the curtains to greet the new day, and as the birds chirp becomingly, the thought of a fresh peach for breakfast enters my head, and I step out the door - often to find a pile of raccoon "markings" on the door mat - a warning -

stay inside, Buster, or else....."

o

Raccoons hate water, netting and dogs.

The water solution is simple, get a motion activated sprinkler, I use the scarecrow product, works like a charm.

I put netting over the trees I really don't want critters to eat. Raccoons hate getting stuck in the netting, so they generally avoid the netted trees.

And I have a nice German Shepperd dog that will chase the raccoons when she sees them, and she marks the whole garden, which is a good reminder to the raccoons not to hang around my garden.

Finally, picking all the fruit fall on a regular basis makes a big difference. Cover your compost piles and trash cans as well.

As a rule, raccoons are attracted more to meat than fruits, so any meat or fish smells will attract them big time, they'll go for the fruit as a secondary treat, unless they're grapes, which is their favorite fruit.

o

I'm now going by - "if it smells even a little bit like a peach, it'll ripen".

I've tried bird netting, they tear that to shreds. Here, in an irrigated desert, the raccoons live in the swampy areas, and so we get them constantly, while 200 yards away, they're very rare.

o

Yesterday, from the one tree thats getting pestered, I picked a bushel. This morning, I see that the resident Sumo-coon, judging by the tracks, climbed up the thing and broke off one of the main branches. Didn't eat much, only 3 or 4 pits around, just broke it and left.

I'll set a trap, and pick the rest this afternoon when it cools down a bit. Ripe peaches: I dunno, but at least I may have a tree left.

o

An update, 5 days later, they're beginning to ripen up nicely, and we made a pie yesterday. The interior color is still a light shade of green, the exterior color remained the same. It would seem my issue, here in the dry climate, is maintaining more moisture around the picked fruit as they do seem to shrink.

We had a commercial, organic orchard 30 miles west of here a few years back, that didn't have refrigeration. I visited several times during the harvest season to buy their culls. They picked them unripe, boxed them, and shipped them to Texas, and they ripened along the way or something.

I wish I knew more about it. Probably some high-tech way of checking brix levels, or maybe just squeezing 'em.

Anyway, I have 5 or so bushels, and we'll get something out of it. I've caught 3 raccoons in 5 days as well. They seem very well fed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here