Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to start bagging grapes?

Posted by MrsG47 7 RI (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 12:16

Last year I bought 'organza' bags to cover my Concord grapes. The birds could see right through the bags, and pecked right into them, making a mess.

I ended the situation by unfortunately picking the grapes when they were purple but not fragrant nor fully ripe. The jam was horrible. Threw it out.

This year I took Scott's advice and bought cotton muslin bags that will not only protect the grapes they will be hidden from sight by the cloth. My Concords are now green but the grapes are swelling quickly and are almost the size of a dime. Is it too early to bag them? thanks, Mrs. G

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to start bagging grapes?

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 14:41

Yes. They have to at least change color.

o

Grapes are not dependent upon light exposure for color change.

You could bag them any time but keep in mind if it rains--depending upon your area--you could have mold problems with a wet bag around them. I have not noticed birds bothering the b-b sized grapes only the ones as they near maturity.

o

I'll wait a little longer. Thanks all! Mrs. G

o

Don't wait too much longer. I looked at my grapes yesterday and the birds had taken most of them already.

Scott

o

Thanks Scott!

o

• Posted by myk1 5 IL (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 13:43

I used gallon ziplocs with the bottom completely opened. They didn't completely stop the squirrels but did seem to frustrate them. Didn't notice any birds pecking which is odd because they do with apple bags.
I put them on pretty early, way before I started seeing losses.

o

I've only used baggies on apples. I'm trying the cotton muslin bags for the first time. My mailman thinks I'm a riot! Bags hanging on a grape arbor. . . Mrs. G

o

• Posted by myk1 5 IL (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 12:07

If people only knew.

Half my grapes were killed last winter, all were killed off to the ground so I don't have anything this year. Looking good for next year though (I have a new plan, temporary low tiers until they get thick when I'll let them go to the high tier).

I've seen one house around here that has whole trees bagged with some kind of fabric.
I've got some netting and am thinking up something like that for the grapes. At least make the squirrels do some acrobatics to get to them.

o

You could use row cover,..or some other fabrics.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here