Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
possible to identify an avocado?

Posted by goldfinchy 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 18, 12 at 12:30

Hi,

I used a pit from a "Haas" avocado purchased at a store, please see the photo.
But... it is not a Haas, 100%. Haas has dark green leaves that don't look like rabbit ears.

Is it possible to say at least approximately what variety is that?
Just curious..

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: possible to identify an avocado?

The only thing I can tell you for sure is that your avocado seedling is definitely half something other than Hass. This has nothing to do with what it looks like because I don't think it's possible to identify the parentage of your seedling from the leaves. Leaf morphology is highly variable, especially when comparing very young plants with mature ones.

Rather I know Hass could only have been one parent because avocados require cross-pollination with another variety that has a different flowering habit (These are grouped into A or B varieties based on what time of day the male and female flower parts are viable). Below is a short list of common varieties that would pollinate type A flowered Hass.

But it seems a bit arbitrary to know the parentage anyway, since you're dealing with a seedling that by definition is genetically distinct from both it's parents.

TYPE B FLOWER AVOCADOS:
Fuerte
Jim
Kahaluu
Murashige
Nabal
Sharwil
Stewart
Whitsell
Zutano

o

fabaceae_native,

Thanks for your explanation, I'll check the varieties you mentioned for the leaf shapes. In the worst case, I have a new variety ! :)
I like how it looks and grows, very bright green and compact.
I just replanted it in a 5-1-1 mix.

o

And, it will take anywhere from 5 to 13+ years for it to bear fruit, so be patient :-)

Patty S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here