Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deer Prunning My Blackberries

Posted by Fred_1933 7b (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 12:49

I don't have any positive proof, but I think the deer(s) are eating the cane tips on my Tripple Crown, Apache, Natchez, and Quachita new growth canes. My blackberry patch, which consists of 14 plants have florecanes from 10' to 20' in length, and they are tied up on wires running from 4"x4" treated posts. I've checked these new growth tips each day and notice most all have been eaten off. I don't have any evidence of any other culprit that may be eating the tips. And I don't see any deer tracks around, although, I have bark mulch around all these plants and down each row the deer may still be coming around at night. The blackberrty patch is some 100' from the house. I also have two Prime Jan plants that are about 5' tall with new growth (which has thorns) and the deer don't eat them...

This post was edited by Fred_1933 on Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 12:54

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deer Prunning My Blackberries

That occasionally happens to the blackberry canes that protrude from behind my electric fence. I don't think the deer actually like blackberry plants that much, but it's more of a curiosity "tasting".

o
RE: Deer Prunning My Blackberries

Deer eat plant here first year then don't any more, but they take to liking of berries when get ripe with few ripe one they eat all berries black red and green one. A big are medium size dog helps keep them at bay. If in dogs protected area he show you his protect area by marking area your presents beyond berries give dog signal to protect that area.

o
RE: Deer Pruning My Blackberries

Had some black 1" netting in storage. Just finish installing it around the whole blackberry garden. I had 100' X 10" wide that I could staple to the out-side of the posts. If it's deer they will have to jump the netting. Might wake up tomorrow morning and find some deer all tangled up in the netting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here