Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blueberry and strawberry questions!!

Posted by RPost78 8A (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 12:50

Can anyone identify what type of blueberry plant I have? I had two but one died so I have to get another one this winter when they go on sale. So, no fruit from it yet. I recently moved it from the front to the back of the house and its doubled in size in the last month. I guess it was too hot up front.

As for the strawberry question, when will I start seeing fruit? I had a small strawberry hanging basket last year and it has produced a few strawberries. Usually enough for the birds to pick through or me to just pop in my mouth while I'm outside. This year I have planted a few more plants and they have multiplied into many plants, but no flowers or fruit since early this spring. They are sequoia.

What are some common pests I should look out for? I have had some pest issues with my zucchini and cucumbers this year that I didn't have last year. They came with a vengeance this year! I don't want that to happen next year!

How cold tolerant are strawberries? I won't be able to move them this winter.

I'm in Central Texas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blueberry and strawberry questions!!

Closer view of blueberry plant.

o

Here's my strawberry setup. They started as 3 plants and now they are growing everywhere. I would ultimately like to fill the entire raised bed with them by next spring.

o

Do nothing. By next spring that bed will be full and spilling over.

Well, do one thing. Pull out those onions.

o

Sorry, can't help with the blueberry.

My onions and strawberries love one another. They happily grow in the same bed.

I never let young strawberry plants create too many runners. I pinch out all but one or two. I want them to direct all their energy into establishing themselves the first year. In their second year i get heavier crops and at tge end of the season I let each plant create 1 or 2 new plants. In thier third year I allow the plant to produce as many offspring as possible and then I get rid of the original plant at the end of the season. 3 -4 years is a good life for most strawberry plants.

I do have one strawberry plant that's been around for 5 years or so. I got it at Aldi and its a strange powerhouse of a strawberry plant. As long as it crops heavily I will leave it be. Sooooo, maybe your strawberries will be like my mine and produce over the years.

I hope that helps.

M

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here