Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raspberry Pruning Question

Posted by jas4141 Zone 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 13, 13 at 12:55

Our raspberry plants were very productive this year but now are being eaten alive by Japanese beetles. In Zone 5, is it too early to cut them way back to hopefully decrease this menace, and prepare them for next year's crop?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raspberry Pruning Question

Well sure you can, but don't cut down next year's crop if summer bearing. And you will lose the summer crop of fall bearing types. Some fall bearers only have small summer crops, others huge summer crops. For example Fall Gold has a huge summer crop. What an excellent raspberry! And since you have the beetles now, your lawn will be full of grubs no doubt. And next year they will all hatch and if you think this years is bad.... Better kill the grubs, nematodes is organic and right now is the time to use them.

o

you don't say the variety, so I don't know if there are more berries to come. In my area the japanese beetles are wrapping up. So I would leave them. As stated you need to deal with the beetles. What I do is use beetle traps away from the good plants and I have a pan of soapy water that I knock bugs into from my good plants. I keep the soapy water water at the good plants, and hang the bags of dead bugs in the good plants. I learned this trick by observation, live bugs attract other live bugs, but dead repel. So you have to be fast to knock them into the soapy water once you have other dead ones in there. The dead repel is not 100%, but it clearly helps. Same with have in a bag of dead in your trap, it slows it way down in catching.

o

Thanks for the responses. Not sure of the variety other than they are summer bearing. Most beetles gone but moles are working overtime! Drew, you say cutting back now would destroy next year's crop....sure don't want to do that so I guess best leave them alone. Right now they are growing "wildly. I have taken out most of the older canes to clean up the patch a bit.

o

With summer bearing cut out an canes that fruted, and the canes that have not fruited leave alone. And you can thin them out. You want canes about 6 inches from each other. Any weak, dead canes can be pruned out. Even good ones if too close to each other.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here