Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this blackberry orange rust ?

Posted by Sal1973 Ireland (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 12:56

Hi,
These spots have appeared about two weeks ago on some of the leaves. The plant is one year old and overall looks healthy. I'll be glad to know your opinion before I dispose of it.
Thanks,Sal
Upper leaf pic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this blackberry orange rust ?

under it

o

one more...

o

last one I promise

o

Sal,

I have only seen orange rust once in person on black raspberries and it appeared similar but much more dispersed over the underside of the leaf. Looking at images of orange rust, I noticed that the top surface of the leaf appears brown or yellowish / orangish instead of purple. Given that you are in Ireland, there may be different types of orange rust there that differs from what we see in the States. I don't know of anything that causes the orange pustules on the underside of the leaf but there are several diseases that cause the purple color on the top side, like anthracnose. I would suggest checking with a local nursery to be sure.

o

Thanks Jtburton. I 've seen severe cases of orange rust on the wild brambles around here and mine looks like is very minor compared. The folks from the nursery told me to wait and see if it gets worse and spread on more than just a few leaves before I tore it apart and burn it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here