Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What tree fruits plan for next year,more of the same? Really?

Posted by persimmonbob 6b/7a (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 11, 12 at 12:57

I am done with asian persimmon,done with paw paw's,done with plums, done with pears,done with fig's.I just grow with what i have now.I have some room for my new endeavor,Pommagrenate's.I have 3 bushes that are 4 years old and survived 2 strong winters and last year mild one.I grew these from store bought ones.They seams to be drought resistance and are low maintenance.I am on the look-out for a couple excellent kinds for my area.I appreciate any input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What tree fruits plan for next year,more of the same? Really?

Since my "orchard" is only two years old I will wait til next year to decide if anyone gets booted to the compost pile and replaced with something that performs better. I only have a few holes left to fill and none of them are anything extra special. I did buy an 'Angel Red' pomegranite last year and it is doing fine but has not bloomed or fruited.

Big performers for me this year were goumis, bush cherries, elderberries, blackberries, blueberries and table grapes and for the first time in my life I've grown a watermelon that had more flavor than store bought. Peaches, pears and apples will be hitting their stride next year.

o

Persimmonbob,

You could try Green Sea Farms as they carry 50+ varieties of poms including some very hardy ones.

o

Bob, congratulations on knowing how to say done. It took me 750 varieties.

I don't know where you are located but apricots would be my #1 addition if I had what you list. They are easier than plums, less problems with rot curculio and shot-hole, more drought-tolerant, and they come in really early. Get a Tomcot, its early and the most reliable and tasty.

For poms I haven't heard enough reports of long-term success (in terms of a reliable good-sized harvest) from folks growing hardy poms in the east, so overall they are a bit more iffy. Make sure the variety doesn't ripen too late, when I looked into it I estimated about half of all pom varieties are too late for me. I have had a few fruits from my poms but not enough to see how well they could work. Splitting is an unknown issue, they do seem more prone in our climate. Late frosts are another concern; half of my Angel Red died this spring in a late frost; none of the other poms was affected at all. Rolling River is another good source of varieties, but you need to check into the variety before getting it since they are a west coast nursery. The two standards for the east still seem to be Salatsvaki and Kazake, they are both known to be reliably hardy and early enough harvest. My Kazake should give me a couple fruits this year.

Scott

o

Thanks guys for your input on pom's.I wish i started earlier with them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here