Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Time to Plant Kiwi vines?

Posted by fireinthevines WV, zone 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 28, 12 at 13:16

Hello! I have been planning for a kiwi arbor for a few weeks. I decided on hearty kiwi, and ordered a pair of vines for about $10 on Amazon. The posting said they would be shipped dormant in Winter, so I assumed I would be receiving them this winter. Well, duh, they just meant if I purchase them in winter, then they'd come dormant, and that makes sense - NOW, haha. Regardless, I have two kiwi vines on the way and haven't budgeted for my arbor for another two weeks yet.

Can I plant these kiwi this late in the year? They are set to drop leaves in October, right? Should I baby them in the pots until spring, or get them planted right away? I don't want to have to cut ravenous kiwi vines out of my basement before the last frost shows up!

Just in case you're curious, I'm going with a 20" arbor made of 4x4s - 5' for the male, and 15' for the female. My plans also include screw eye hooks and cable, and I have a great diagram for training the vines along it. I'm so excited to get started!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Time to Plant Kiwi vines?

I would image those kiwis will need a dormant period. If you could get them yet this fall, you could put them in as long as you can get a shovel in the ground...i doubt they will send them in the middle of winter, although who knows... if that would be the case, i would put them in a garage or even refrigerator until you can get them in the soil (as soon as a shovel cna go into the ground)...

o

It sounds like they are shipping them now, so just plant them now. Potted plants can usually be planted year-round, the only downside is if its a hot spell.

Scott

o

I have three hardy kiwi plants (1 male and two female) that are about 7 years old. I built a T-trellis using 4X4s as the posts and 2X6 cross pieces (2 each per post). I used bolts to secure the cross pieces to the posts. The posts are set in the ground with pre-mix (very easy) and I leveled them before removing the props I used to hold them in place. I used galvanized wire attached to the cross pieces to support the vines.

This is my first year of allow the plants to use the trellis and I did not get blossoms. They look very nice. I am hoping for next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here