Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grafting thoughts - Crab apple to Frankentree

Posted by megamav 5a - NY (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 8, 12 at 13:17

Just some thoughts on grafting now that I've had time to think about it.
Is it better to graft onto new wood than old wood?
Obviously with new wood, I wouldnt be able to cleft graft at all. It would have to be a saddle graft, whip and tongue or a splice graft.

I've included a picture, red arrows would be the new growth since cutting the tree back, it looks like its building new scaffolds. If this is the case should I renewal cut the old wood after I graft onto the new wood? (Blue zig-zag)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grafting thoughts - Crab apple to Frankentree

The big cuts you indicate with the blue lines kinda scare me, but I'll leave that to the more experienced. It just looks like a lot to take off all at once.

All four of the new growth choices look graftable to me, and I think that you'd be able to cleft or whip and tongue or bark graft to any of them in the spring, or bud/chip to them now. I've done cleft grafts to wood that wasn't big enough to support inserts to both sides of the rootstock, but left enough room for one scion, so I think you'd be OK on that count.

o

Im thinking about those cuts over time, maybe one scaffold per year. But im thinking that old wood should be renewed and I probably shouldnt graft to it, because it may not be very productive. I think a good chunk of this tree's framework is 30 years old. It was planted when the house was built and the previous owners let it do whatever it wanted. In the spring I cut most of the branches and scaffolds 1/2 back as they were too long, downward growing and diseased or damaged.
The top red arrow is my projected new central leader.

o

I tend to agree with you, but I wish others would comment.

I'm not sure how big those branches with the blue lines are. Maybe 6"? That does seem on the large size for grafting, but I don't doubt that there are people who do it.

Others?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here