Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
single sided leaf out

Posted by cbfindlay z6 OH (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 13:18

Bought a peach from Stark Brothers - Red Haven - this spring, planted, it started to leaf out nicely right away... on ONE side of the trunk. All of the promising looking buds on one side of the trunk have now become nice little branches and look good. On the OTHER side of the trunk... nada. zip. buds look dead.
There is no apparent reason for this. it's not like it has blasting sun on that side or anything, and nothing's eating at the tree.
So - is there any chance this thing might grow on the opposite side next spring?
If not, what do I do with it? Is this tree pointless, should I dig it up and toss it, or ... I don't know, I can't imagine a one-sided tree ever being healthy...
Stark says they are sending me a replacement in November. Seems kind of late to plant to me! But they said if it's dormant, it should be fine...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: single sided leaf out

Early November can be a good time to plant, I wouldn't worry.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 15:11

You can probably salvage the one sided tree. It depends somewhat on whether the bark is dead on that side. But even if it is do this right now. Train one of the lowest branches upright. Tie it upright to the trunk. Then next spring cut off as much of the current trunk as possible and head that now upright branch off at the height you want new branches. Presto you have a new tree with branches on all sides.

o

OR...
buy another young peach of a different variety.... plant it in the same hole and prune off the branches that are facing the one sided tree you have and...
presto double your pleasure & double your fun.

You will now have two "half" trees giving two varieties of fruit in the same space and without grafting.

Mike ...ggg (sly grin)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here