Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black Walnuts ripeness?

Posted by carol6ma_7ari zones 6 %26 7a (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 13:21

When will my black walnuts be ripe, and how do I tell?
(newly discovered tree in our woods)

Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black Walnuts ripeness?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 14:50

They fall off the tree when ripe.

o

True, fruitnut; but some trees drop a lot of immature (unpollenated?) nuts early- just noticed a bunch underneath a woods' edge tree at the north end of the farm this weekend. Somewhat smaller than the full-developed ones will be when they're ripe.
Carol, when the good ones start dropping, be sure to remove the green husk material as soon as possible so it doesn't go all black and gooey and discolor the kernels(and impart a bitter taste).
Oh... and unlike their cousins the pecans & hickories, they are not ready to eat when they drop. Once you've removed the husks, you'll need to store them in a cool, dry place to cure for several weeks before they're good to eat.

This post was edited by lucky_p on Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 18:15

o

Thanks, friends; but I'm so totally clueless about the general maturity date of black walnuts that I don't know if I should be harvesting them very soon, or in mid-November. When are they ripe, in zone 6?

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here