Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flavor King Pluot free stone?

Posted by brownmola (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 13:22

I just bought the best tasting pluot I have ever had and want to buy and plant that tree. They were advertised as Flavor King but they were free stone. Are Flavor Kings free stone or was it misidentified? I can upload pictures of the actual pluot if FK is not a free stone.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flavor King Pluot free stone?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 13:50

I'd call it semi freestone. It's not strongly attached over the whole seed surface. But it's not free either.

Was the interior mostly red?

o

The interior was mostly red. Are FKs a little harder to grow/less vigorous than other pluots?

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 14:03

Yes they are less vigorous but not really harder to grow. I like them on Citation. The fruit is much bigger than on Myro 29C even though 29C gives a much more vigorous tree. On either root the lower part of the tree soon becomes bare. The solution is to prune some every year to keep forcing new growth down low. I have a hard time doing that. But mine produce just as well on long old pendant spurs that should have been renewed 5 years ago.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here