Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I remove banana shoots/pups?

Posted by wardog25 9b (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 13:22

In March I planted an ice cream banana that was 2-3 feet tall. It is now like 12 feet tall with 4 shoots/pups coming out of it.

Two of the pups are already much bigger than the original tree was in March. Do they take away nutrients from the main tree?

Just wondering if I should remove them to get better fruit production. Or should I keep them and get more fruit, more often, because of a higher number of trees?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I remove banana shoots/pups?

Your choice to remove or not.

But know that the pups replace the "mother" plant because after "mom" fruits, it dies.

o
RE: Should I remove banana shoots/pups?

You can remove some, but I would always leave a couple near the mother plant. After she flowers it will die to be replaced by the suckers. Over a few years bananas will "walk" a bit in this way.

If you do make sure you dont damage the corm of the mom, and make sure the pup has a bit of root, NOT only rhizome. This is the best way to propagate them. IF you grow any hybrid banana you wont get the same fruit, you need to divide them as I mentioned above. You can grow the seeds, as I said they will differ from the mom.

I have to do this to my Basjoo.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here