Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommendation for Serviceberry for Zone 9, Northern California

Posted by akaurgardener 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 13:39

Hello garden friends!

I'm looking for a recommendation for a service berry tree to add to my garden. I really love the transitions and I saw one in Southern California. It was a tree and looked so lightweight like a Japanese maple.

I'm looking to plant it next to one of the posts of my deck as that space needs some vertical height and color. I'd like to keep it dwarf size, no more than 6-7 feet, ideally. At first I thought I'd plant a dogwood for the white flowers, but then I liked the idea of a Japanese maple there, until I saw a serviceberry! So gorgeous!

I really love how it goes from white flowers to yummy berries to fiery red/orange. Gorgeous!

I'm in El Sobrante - coastal Northern California, Zone 9. Is there a particular serviceberry tree you would recommend for my area and purposes? I don't mind the mess of a fruit tree (we have a mini orchard in the back and share it all it with the birds and natural wildlife surrounding us).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommendation for Serviceberry for Zone 9, Northern Californ

The tree could have been Autumn Brilliance.The tree will grow in zone 9,according to some nurseries.
I tried a few of the the berries and they reminded me of Apple. Brady

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here