Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris_crab

Grafting a Peach tree

chris_crab
9 years ago

I have a peach tree that I was told in an earlier post that it's probably not going to make it. The question I have if you can't tell from the title is can I cut this tree back and have some new healthy branches grafted onto it? I have no experience in this so if this is a ridiculous question I apologize. Also, if it is possible is there anyone in SW Michigan that could help me do this? I was told by a local greenhouse owner/farmer that peach trees don't live very long anyway so I should probably just cut it down and start some new trees. Any assistance on any of these questions/issues will be greatly appreciated.

Comments (6)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

No don't bother with that tree it's nothing but firewood. The roots will be dead or nearly so next spring after a summer with so little foliage. Much better to just buy a new tree of a proven variety and plant it next spring. There is no future in your current tree.

• nyRockFarmer
    9 years ago

I had an apricot die a slow death this year. I didn't cut it down because it was still green under the bark and the plum roots looked good. I wanted to see if it would come out of its coma. Just a few weeks ago, however, the roots suddenly started to sucker profusely. As expected, the tree was now dry and fungus was starting to grow on the bark at the base. I wish I had just cut the thing down in spring to give the roots enough time to replenish energy from the suckers. Now I have to hope it will have enough sucker time to survive the winter.

• chris_crab
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sad news once again but I do appreciate taking the time to respond. We are in the process of drying some pits now and are going to attempt to get three or four new trees in the ground next spring. The only thing I am still curious on is the life span. Is it true a peach tree is only going to live between 5-10 years not matter what is done for it? Thanks again for all the help.

• olpea
    9 years ago

No, not true. I had a neighbor who had a peach tree 25+ years old before it croaked. I've heard of older peach trees than that.

What significantly contributes to short life of peach trees is very cold winters, and too much water on the roots.

I notice your peach tree was planted on flat ground (vs. a raised planting). If you have heavy soil and wet springs, you can guarantee a short life of peach trees.

• chris_crab
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good to know about the flat land issue. I inherited these trees when I purchased my house and that's the way they were, so when I plant my new replacements I will keep that in mind.

• nyRockFarmer
    9 years ago

I've heard similar statements about their average 10-15 year life span. While they do have a relatively short life span compared to other fruit trees, I think many of those statements are in the context of their removal due to production decline rather than death. Peaches have a growth habit that doesn't rejuvenate the tree very well.