Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
creekweb

An affinity for growing fruit: nature or nurture?

creekweb
9 years ago

I'm intrigued by my toddler's daily insistence for a tour of the home orchard and her raucous jubilation upon visiting her favorite fruit trees. I don't know where this came from; I did little or nothing to foster it. But when I look back, I recall a fascination with growing fruits and vegetables that dates back to my own pre-school years.
Now this may be just the passing fancy of a one year old, but it seems to be increasing in depth and extent over time. There are children with certain forms of autism that exhibit precocious interests, but her personality features rule out the possibility of that disease.
It makes me wonder whether I passed on to her genes that predispose her to developing an affinity for growing fruit. It could make sense that genes like this could evolve in an agricultural society, giving the holder competitive advantages for obtaining and providing food . Maybe among those of us here with strong fruit growing inclinations, there's a common genetic basis to our obsession!

Comments (4)

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

For me when I was young, I just liked how good the fruit was. So my own desire for good food is what drove me. I resisted it for year, even decades, but eventually got back into it. My kids love the fruit but have no desire to have a garden. So who knows?

• Greg
    9 years ago

In college I tended to go more with the nurture side of the argument, but after having kids I am now convinced it is almost 100% nature.

• glib
    9 years ago

My father too liked agriculture in general. But it is also genetic. we are a bunch of former monkeys and the sight of a loaded tree inspires us. to be up in a tree, comfortably leaning against a big branch and just pulling and eating fruit, has always been heaven for me, when I was a kid and now.

• appleseed70
    9 years ago

interesting.....VERY interesting...good post creekweb. Good followups too.

But it is also genetic. we are a bunch of former monkeys and the sight of a loaded tree inspires us. to be up in a tree, comfortably leaning against a big branch and just pulling and eating fruit,

glib...I like your take on that and it is my belief that you are definitely on to something here.