Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
An affinity for growing fruit: nature or nurture?

Posted by creekweb 6,7 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 13:45

I'm intrigued by my toddler's daily insistence for a tour of the home orchard and her raucous jubilation upon visiting her favorite fruit trees. I don't know where this came from; I did little or nothing to foster it. But when I look back, I recall a fascination with growing fruits and vegetables that dates back to my own pre-school years.
Now this may be just the passing fancy of a one year old, but it seems to be increasing in depth and extent over time. There are children with certain forms of autism that exhibit precocious interests, but her personality features rule out the possibility of that disease.
It makes me wonder whether I passed on to her genes that predispose her to developing an affinity for growing fruit. It could make sense that genes like this could evolve in an agricultural society, giving the holder competitive advantages for obtaining and providing food . Maybe among those of us here with strong fruit growing inclinations, there's a common genetic basis to our obsession!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: An affinity for growing fruit: nature or nurture?

• Posted by Drew51 5b/6a SE MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 17:12

For me when I was young, I just liked how good the fruit was. So my own desire for good food is what drove me. I resisted it for year, even decades, but eventually got back into it. My kids love the fruit but have no desire to have a garden. So who knows?

o

In college I tended to go more with the nurture side of the argument, but after having kids I am now convinced it is almost 100% nature.

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 19:18

My father too liked agriculture in general. But it is also genetic. we are a bunch of former monkeys and the sight of a loaded tree inspires us. to be up in a tree, comfortably leaning against a big branch and just pulling and eating fruit, has always been heaven for me, when I was a kid and now.

o

interesting.....VERY interesting...good post creekweb. Good followups too.

But it is also genetic. we are a bunch of former monkeys and the sight of a loaded tree inspires us. to be up in a tree, comfortably leaning against a big branch and just pulling and eating fruit,

glib...I like your take on that and it is my belief that you are definitely on to something here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here