Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
creekweb

An affinity for growing fruit: nature or nurture?

creekweb
9 years ago

I'm intrigued by my toddler's daily insistence for a tour of the home orchard and her raucous jubilation upon visiting her favorite fruit trees. I don't know where this came from; I did little or nothing to foster it. But when I look back, I recall a fascination with growing fruits and vegetables that dates back to my own pre-school years.
Now this may be just the passing fancy of a one year old, but it seems to be increasing in depth and extent over time. There are children with certain forms of autism that exhibit precocious interests, but her personality features rule out the possibility of that disease.
It makes me wonder whether I passed on to her genes that predispose her to developing an affinity for growing fruit. It could make sense that genes like this could evolve in an agricultural society, giving the holder competitive advantages for obtaining and providing food . Maybe among those of us here with strong fruit growing inclinations, there's a common genetic basis to our obsession!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County