Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djoyce_gw

Apple Tree Pests

djoyce
9 years ago

I have two issues I'm not certain are related with my apple trees this year. I have a caterpillar tent in one of them that is fairly large at the end of one limb. The tent is not as dense as many I've seen around here, but the leaves are all dead within it. It's also covered with small dark brown dots that look like eggs on the inside.

Nearly all the apples are disfigured and almost all have brown dirt-looking mounds where something entered. I've now seen two of what look to be adult apple maggot flies on the apples. Also, very many apples are on the ground already, far before being ripe.

Could someone please help me identify what is/are the culprit or culprits? If you have suggestions to take care of them as well I'd appreciate it. I'm trying not to use any harmful chemicals if possible as we'd like to eat any good apples we may be able to salvage. If I have to treat it with something nasty and wait until next year, so be it.

Finally, is there something I should do next year to treat it early on so I don't have these issues? I've read dormant oils and pheromone traps may be in order. Is that the case? I know of at least one other tree on my block that looks the same and it won't be treated at all, so I should probably protect mine.

Thank you.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists