Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shazaam01

Blueberry leaves turning red...

Ernie
10 years ago

For those of you with blueberry growing experience, what do you make of this?

{{gwi:122811}}

The bush is a rabbiteye (Centurion) that's growing in a pine bark based potting mix. It's one of several small rabbiteyes that, until recently, were all in 2-gallon pots with no incorporated fertilizer. Three to four weeks ago, I transplanted them very gently (with minimal root disturbance) into 10 gallon pots filled with fresh potting mix into which I'd incorporated fertilizer at a light rate of about 5 oz of N/cu yd. The fertilizers varied (I'm experimenting), and the other bushes are healthy and aren't exhibiting similar symptoms. The only unique thing about this one was that I used an organic fertilizer mix that included about 1 oz of 12-0-0 powdered fish fertilizer (as well as kelp and alfalfa meals, both of which have been problem-free for me in the past). The reddening, as you can see, progresses from oldest to newest leaves, and eventually the leaves drop. It's almost like it thinks that it's October rather than August. My best guess is that the fish fertilizer was a bit too strong for it, but, then again, this doesn't really look like fertilizer burn. I know that these kinds of things are hard to pin down, but I'd be interested to know if anyone has any theories as to what's going on here...

This post was edited by shazaam on Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 15:09

Comments (4)