Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blueberry leaves turning red...

Posted by shazaam NC 7B (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 13:55

For those of you with blueberry growing experience, what do you make of this?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The bush is a rabbiteye (Centurion) that's growing in a pine bark based potting mix. It's one of several small rabbiteyes that, until recently, were all in 2-gallon pots with no incorporated fertilizer. Three to four weeks ago, I transplanted them very gently (with minimal root disturbance) into 10 gallon pots filled with fresh potting mix into which I'd incorporated fertilizer at a light rate of about 5 oz of N/cu yd. The fertilizers varied (I'm experimenting), and the other bushes are healthy and aren't exhibiting similar symptoms. The only unique thing about this one was that I used an organic fertilizer mix that included about 1 oz of 12-0-0 powdered fish fertilizer (as well as kelp and alfalfa meals, both of which have been problem-free for me in the past). The reddening, as you can see, progresses from oldest to newest leaves, and eventually the leaves drop. It's almost like it thinks that it's October rather than August. My best guess is that the fish fertilizer was a bit too strong for it, but, then again, this doesn't really look like fertilizer burn. I know that these kinds of things are hard to pin down, but I'd be interested to know if anyone has any theories as to what's going on here...

This post was edited by shazaam on Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 15:09

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blueberry leaves turning red...

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 16:10

Autumn approaching, going to make a beautiful red.

o

You're right -- that's exactly what it looks like, except that I wouldn't expect the leaves to begin turning until October. Maybe it's entering dormancy early as a response to stress?

o

Standard operating procedure, although they look like they might need a little nitrogen. Not sure if it's the lighting or what, but the leaves could be a little darker green. Maybe the fertilizer will kick in and darken then up a bit. Just my .02.

o

That's a good point, Ed -- the leaves are definitely a bit pale. All of my blueberries receive a light dose of MirAcid at every watering, though, so it really shouldn't be short on available nitrogen. Instead, I suspect that the pale foliage is a further symptom of whatever's prompting the color change. At the rate the leaves are turning and dropping, it won't have any leaves left in a week or two. By comparison, none of my other blueberries show symptoms that are even remotely similar -- they're all continuing to push out new growth like they should be. This guy, on the other hand, is just shutting down.

An aside for Ed -- Since it's lighter on N than most other CRFs, I've been meaning to ask you how much Shake'n Feed you incorporate per gallon for your blueberries. Also, do you apply it more than once in the growing season? I'm currently trying it out on two small rabbiteyes, and so far they're doing very well. Since I potted them up late in the season, I went with a light dose, but I'm probably going to try it out on some plants next year, as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here