Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HoneyCrisp Leaves Turn Brown and Fall

Posted by tedgrowsit 6b PA (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 18, 12 at 13:56

I know that HoneyCrisp trees have problems with their leaves, but my tree seems to have a different problem. The leaves turn totally brown and fall off. Part of the tree is defoliated. Perhaps this is normal, maybe a serious disease. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Ted

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HoneyCrisp Leaves Turn Brown and Fall

Looks like drought stress disease. Spray with water.

o

Ted:

Check the crown and roots. It could be something like phytophthora crown or root rot. Not sure that's spelled right but consider a problem near or below ground.

o

We have been getting plenty of rain lately. The dry spell here was back in June. All of my other apples look normal, fine, but this tree grows very little, and has this problem. I'll check around the bottom of the tree. Thanks, Ted

o

I figured drought stress just because it has been so dry here. I've been watering my apple trees twice a week for months. We haven't had much rain since April.

o

Have the exact same problem with my honeycrisp/gala/something else. If i do not spray with spetracide 3 n 1 at least 3 times my tree ends up looking like that.

o

This is an update on this condition. It appears as though this tree has died. I have been pruning my apples and came to this tree. The surface of the branches and twigs are shriveled and wrinkled. It looks as though it is drying out. The cambium is still green but kind of sticky in texture. I do not know what happened. Any thoughts? Thanks, Ted

o

Pull up the roots to do a post-mortem; check the trunk at soil level for rot, gopher-chewed roots, or rotted roots.

o

Thanks, applenut. I will do some investigating. Ted

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here