Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrclint_so_cal

Pomegranate Security

MrClint
10 years ago

With pomegranate season comes the fight to keep rats, squirrels, leaffooted bugs and birds away from the crop. I've used BirdBlock, bright lighting, and baiting with limited success. This year I went hardcore and stapled together some metal screen pouches. This is just the cheap and ubiquitous metal screen that comes in rolls at the hardware store. The screen is cut into squares large enough to fold over to make a pouch. The edges are then stapled together with a standard office stapler. I hope this solves the problem once and for all.

It's been over a week now and so far, so good. One very aggressive critter got frustrated and tried to rip through a pouch to no avail. It knocked the pom, pouch and all, to the ground where it continued to try gnawing away to still no avail. Yes, I had to harvest that one, but it was a whole fruit that was still edible and great in a salad.

Comments (11)

• Tony
    10 years ago

Good idea!!! I will try it next season.

Tony

This post was edited by tonytran on Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 15:28

• MrClint
    Original Author
    10 years ago

At first I was concerned that the metal would get too hot in the sun, but so far that has not been an issue. I may expand this approach to include some other fruit next year.

• milehighgirl
    10 years ago

mrclint,

Sounds like a genius idea. How easy are they to harvest this way? A perfectly reusable solution. I bet that would even protect quite a bit from hail too.

• MrClint
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is my first go-round with this approach, but the plan is to use a staple remover on the top row of staples.

I should add that the fold is on the bottom and then the sides are stapled. I then slip the pom into the open end (top) and staple the top shut.

• MrClint
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No loses or problems yet with the pouches. Something got most of my Pink Lady apples, so next year they will be pouched up as well.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Genius. Best idea I've seen so far for poms. Can you provide a nice close up of the screen so we can see how you have it stapled and folded? Lost my one and only Angel Red pom, was pretty fried about that, really wanted to taste test it against Wonderful, sigh.

Patty S.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

I find the worst varmints in my pome trees are friendly people....steal all the best fruit

• MrClint
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have a low-tech line drawing that details the steps to build the pouches.

1. Roll out the screen and cut out a good-sized section of material. No need for precision. Use a utility knife or wire cutters. This will ultimately be cut into thirds to make three pouches, so think of pouches big enough to encase a softball.
    2. Take your cut out section and roll it over in to thirds for step 3.
    4. Cut the section into thirds with two cuts.
    5. Since you weren't too precise, you will end up with a rectangle. Fold the long portion of the section evenly to form a taco of sorts.
    6. Staple the sides of the taco to make a pouch. Keep the top end open.
    7. You may need to prune some leaves and branches away from the fruit so that the pouch fits over cleanly. Place the fruit in the open end of the pouch and then staple it right up to the branch.

• jbclem
    7 years ago

Mr. Clint, if you're still watching this thread...can you tell me if you are using aluminum screen or non-aluminum metal screening. And since it's been three years since this thread, how are the pouches doing?

I tried aluminum screen pouches about 5 years ago but on young trees the squirrels would pull them off and break the thin branch/spur at the same time. It wasn't until last year that I tried using metal poles to attach stabilizing wires to the pouches/pillow and that keeps the squirrels from pulling them off. But I've been using aviary wire to make the pouches/pillow and it's not as easy to work with since I use wires to sew them up. I may try screening again and put some grommets in the pouches so I can attach the stabilizing wires.

BTW, what size staples are you using?

John

• MrClint
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes, aluminum works fine.