Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miradeara

help with apple and peach trees in Chicago area yard?

miradeara
10 years ago

Hello,

I'm thinking about planting a couple dwarf apple trees in my Evanston back yard. Also considering a peach tree (or two if cross-pollination is needed) and/or possibly a cherry tree.

Would highly appreciate any suggestions for a good landscaper in the area as we'll have to pull out some bushes to make room and I don't trust myself to plant them properly. Also, should I order the trees myself from a nursery? Or let the landscaper do it?

Am a newbie so am also trying to figure out what makes sense -- do peach trees even come in dwarf varieties? Do I need to have two trees for cross pollination or is it possible to have two graphs on one tree so it will pollinate itself? Is it possible to buy an older tree so I don't have to wait 3-4 years for fruit? Would dark cherries even work in Chicago?

Ideally, would like to have trees that produce at different times to spread out the harvest.

Found this list of what works in Illinois from UofI
http://urbanext.illinois.edu/fruit/tree.cfm?section=tree

but would be grateful for suggestions on what works well in the area. We're a big fan of honeycrisp, braeburn, jonagold, fuji (basically firm, crisp and not overly sweet but not too tart)

thanks so much,

Mira

Comment (1)