Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
which species for layering/air layering?

Posted by cousinfloyd 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 24, 12 at 14:09

What fruit species can be layered/air layered successfully without the use of rooting hormones? I know figs take to layering very well. It seems like a pretty easy propagation method. If I knew there were other species for which it would be simple and successful, I'd like to take advantage of the possibility. I'd be interested to know about any fruits in addition to figs, but I'm particularly wondering about mulberries and hardy kiwis.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: which species for layering/air layering?

All the Ribes (red and black currants, Jostaberries, gooseberries) will layer naturally if a branch touches the ground. Can't help you with kiwis or mulberries but since kiwis are a vine I imagine they would layer too.

o

Thanks, flora, I just walked past my ribes (one of each of the ones you listed) and was thinking I should have asked specifically about them, too.

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 24, 12 at 18:34

With black currents where I live one can literally prune off 12" in the late winter or spring and plunge it into the soil where one wants a plant and it will grow.

o

• Posted by glenn10 5a New Brunswick (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 24, 12 at 20:16

cousinfloyd,yes kiwis will layer but they take a few months to do so.I find the kolomitka will root with no root hormone but the arguta benefit from a little IBA hormone.I usually bend a cane to the ground and put a rock on it.Grapes root well with no root hormone as do raspberries and blackberries and as mentioned above goose berries and currants.They say mulberry root well also...I am doing it right now and I will let you know how well it works.
Glenn

o

Although I have airlayered muscadines for several years, this was my first year to airlayer mulberry, pom, and fig branches inside of pvc pipe compartments. More than half made it. I also tried some other enclosures. I would type up a detailed account if you want.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here