Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jstubbs_gw

Purple Raspberry Varieties

jstubbs_gw
10 years ago

Hi All,
First time poster (after reading a lot of threads!), and avid raspberry grower, and I was wondering if anyone has experience with purple raspberry cultivars other than Royalty or Brandywine- I've read about Success, Estate as being ones to try, but can't seem to locate anyone who has them for sale.
Has anyone been able to find these, or other purple raspberries? Or, anyone know how they taste compared to, say, Royalty?

Thanks!

Comments (13)

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

Cant help but want to ask what you think about Royalty,..my first taste this year but I'm unhappy with lake of taste,..just blah!

• jstubbs_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I tried mine for the first time this year too- I have to say, after high expectations I was a little disappointed- with the taste being understated. But, I couldn't stop eating them either! I'm very curious for Brandywine next year- supposed to be more tart.

• bob_z6
    10 years ago

I planted Royalty in spring 2011 and got negligible amounts the first two years (1st was expected, 2nd was disappointing). This year, there was a bumper crop and I got to try quite a few. I agree that they are sweet, but very mild flavored ("there's no taste", per my older daughter). I prefer most of my reds (Autumn Britten, Prelude, Autumn Bliss, and Caroline, in that order). In fact, I found myself picking Royalty a bit early sometimes (when it was still red), just to get some more flavor in them. At least they were finally productive (more concentrated production this year than any of my other berries, except Triple Crown).

• lkz5ia
    10 years ago

I like the royalty purple one over the red ones, so maybe because it more mild,, never have been the biggest fan of raspberries in general.

• gnomeabram
    10 years ago

I grew Royalty exclusively for about 15 years, and have always thought they were great overall . It seems that the taste is best if the weather is warm and not too wet the few weeks leading up to harvest. If it is really wet, the taste tends to be more bland. However I've also noticed that one area in particular in my garden has always had larger and tastier berries compared to the other areas. I'm not sure why this is. Now that the plants seem to be nearing the end of their usefulness, I've been trying other varieties. The first one was prelude, but after three years, I've found them to be consistently too bland and just finished ripping them out this weekend. I also planted some boyne, kilarney, and jaclyn this spring. All three taste better than prelude, but I have the most hope for jaclyn - there weren't many berries this year, but the ones I was able to pick were excellent in form and taste (even better than royalty). Jaclyn is almost purple when fully ripe. I'm trying to decide if I should replace the prelude's with more jaclyn or try taylor.

This post was edited by gnomeabram on Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 20:29

• jstubbs_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

bob_z6, I agree that it is nice that the royalty can be picked while still red.

gnomeabram, funny that you're getting rid of prelude- I'm planning on putting some in this coming spring- mostly because, come late June I'm really impatient for raspberries! I'll also be adding Joan J- have heard good things about it.

Anyone like Brandywine over royalty?

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

I liked Catoline as long as it didn't get too ripe. The same with Polka. So far though my favortite is Fall Gold, They are quite tart and flavorful for a yellow. Again don't let them get too ripe. I made fruit leather with fall gold, I only added 2 tbsp of sugar and everybody said it was way too tart. So it you like tart get Fall Gold, also when overipe or very ripe they are sweet, but still have flavor.
    I'm hoping Double Gold or Crimson Night which are new cultivars are better. I should have some berries soon. I have others I have yet to try. No berries yet from the some. I will also be ripping plants out But Caroline, and Polka are decent enough to stay. You know it may conditions? I grow mine in acidic soil with super good drainage. It may also just be what one likes. Others may find Fall Gold dull. I say they are tart but compared to an unripe blackberry they are not that tart!

Bob, thanks for your list of fav reds!! I have Prelude also. Berries are almost ripe. Never tasted it yet. I also have Encore from that same NY program. Autumn Britten is from the UK program that also makes Valentina, not sold here! One I would very much like to try!

Here is a link that might be useful: Valentina

This post was edited by Drew51 on Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 0:05

• jstubbs_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Drew51, I was thinking that if nothing else, one could try to import the seeds for this variety, but that seems like a long road to go down.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

JStubbs, the problem is they are hybrids and will not grow true to seeds. I did ask some importers of A. Britten to import Valentina, but none responded back. I tried to make a good case for the cultivar. I think the apricot color would be a huge selling point. It also is disease resistant, good taste, upright canes. A lot of good selling points.
    But if we use a yellow and a red, or say Double Gold, and do some pollination ourselves may come up with Apricot.
    Fall Gold is an excellent cultivar. Next year I may try a Fall Gold x Crimson Night cross. A yellow and a almost black deep red. I need Crimson Night to establish. I only have one cane this year from a seedling size plant last year. Currently it is starting to flower, maybe I will try this year. Fall Gold has been flowering for 3 weeks, but still is and will flower all of fall. I will grow them in pots till maturity to see if cross took. I have no room, I really need more space argh!

To keep on subject I have been looking for other purples. If you can find a big private nursery in your area, they may carry some. The mail order places seem not to have any besides the regular expected types.. I will keep looking. I know of some nurseries that may have different cultivars.

• jstubbs_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Drew51, space is the limiting factor for me too, otherwise it'd be kind of fun to try and make my own purple, or orange.

About growing from seed, even though they are hybrids it seems to me that if you had 10 or 20 you grew from seed at least a couple should be faithful to the parent, though you may have to wait a few years to find out!

This post was edited by JStubbs on Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 11:19

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

OK, I found one anyway Glencoe from Direct Gardening

Here is a link that might be useful: Glencoe Purple

• lkz5ia
    10 years ago

Direct Gardening is part of the Burgess empire, so don't get too excited about that.

• jstubbs_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's Glencoe from Eldon tropicals, they seem to have a decent rating on Dave's Garden.

Went ahead and ordered some, we'll see how they turn out!

Here is a link that might be useful: Glencoe

This post was edited by JStubbs on Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 22:16