Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pine bark source for blueberries?

Posted by riverman1 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 22, 12 at 14:20

Anyone on the west side found a source for pine bark? I can buy fir bark by the truck load at area nurseries but can't find pine bark. I did see some pine shavings in a bale for rabbit cages but that's all I have been able to find.

Thx.

RM

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pine bark source for blueberries?

They're sellin' them for gold, bagged up. I wish I could find some grass killin chunks! Hardwood chips are the only thing i can find.

o

Fir bark is a suitable substitute for pine bark in any pine bark formula.

Unfortunately, (or fortunately) people are finally catching on to the usefulness of pine bark, making it harder to find and more expensive.

There are many on the container forum that are using fir bark as a substitute for pine bark with good results. Why not use a local product if it fits?

I would stay away totally though from hardwood. It breaks down too fast.

o

I think the stuff at Lowes,Greensmix brand is Pine bark. Brady

o

Here in the South we are very fortunate to have an abundance of Pine Bark. I get it by the yard for $25. If you can find soil conditioner its mostly pine bark with some compost. I had a couple bags of it last year and the ph was 3.5 to 4. It is made up of pretty fine pieces though so It may retain more water than desired depending on how much you use.

o

I'd recommend picking up the phone and calling tree service companies. They maybe able to direct you to the source. Also tell them you want a dump truck (one ton) full of pine bark so they know your serious.

o

I bought mine at walmart

o

Thanks guys.........I have looked at Wal-Mart several times and can't seem to find any. Unfotunately we don't have a Lowes.

As for the fir bark, I have used it quite a bit and it does work but my blues don't seem to be "real happy" in it, they grow but not as well as those in a mix of peat and soil. I know of a source but it's an hour drive one way, too far just to get some bark!

RM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here