Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

Boyer Nursery Biglerville, PA

hairmetal4ever
9 years ago

Has anyone used them?

Their website bareroot lists show different varieties available than the .pdf catalog (which by the way is a year old - Fall 2012/Spring2013).

Which is more accurate? Are they as disorganized as the website suggests? Their PLANT QUALITY I hear is good, however.

Comments (4)

• northshore3
    9 years ago

Used them 6 years ago--size v.g-----people -informative-they recommended Canadian Harvest peach as one that will hold it's flavor better after prossesing and it's larger branches support the crop well--all of which proved out .shipping charges ---slightly higher probably because they they appear to more of a local buisness. ---shipped fast.

• appleseed70
    9 years ago

If I was you, I'd skip them. They have no idea what they have...literally. They have more available than what is listed, but weirdly don't have a lot of what they do list. I bought 5 trees from them the year before last and ordering from them over the phone was a nightmare. They "had to check" on everything I asked about. "We'll check and call you right back". I ended up settling for a lot that I wished I hadn't.
    3 or 4 of the 5 I purchased had already leafed out when they arrived. As Northshore said their shipping IS fast, but expensive and because it was so fast I know the trees had broken dormancy when they were shipped. 1 died this spring; I sent them an email about it and no reply whatsoever.
    They only guarantee them for 1 year at 50% value. They do seem like nice folks, but very disorganized. Some of the trees were taller than the box they were shipped in and you could see where the packer just used their hands to smash up the branches until the trees "FIT".
    With all the good nurseries available why bother with this one? They're higher priced than most and like northshore said...shipping is significantly higher than industry average.
    I mentioned Dave's Garden and this website in my conversations with them and they had never heard of either one.
    I'd order from their neighbor ACN. The fact that they have a ton of trees (they're not sure which ones though) available when everyone else is sold out is quite telling.

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ACN is good, I ordered from them before. However, both ACN and Boyer are about a 1.5 hr drive from me, so the shipping/selection issues might be easier to deal with in-person.

• appleseed70
    9 years ago

Yeah...they're about the same distance from me too. If their nursery was right next door, I'd still probably order elsewhere. It might be easier in person, but I wouldn't count on it.
    If they're that disorganized with their inventory, you gotta wonder how well labled etc their trees in the field are. So far, I guess mine are all correct. The root quality and caliper were pretty good, but nothing really beyond the ordinary. They also had some mold on the bark, and one of the graft unions was pretty shoddy.
    Again...decent quality, but not for the price and a hassle to try to order from.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor