Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need fig recommendation for zone 7

Posted by ikea_gw 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 13, 10 at 14:28

I want to plant a fig tree in our sideyard, on the NE side of the house. It gets full sun. My location is in zone 7 but close to zone 6 enough that I may have to worry about winter dieback on figs. What is your favorite fig for fresh eating and a small amount of grilling/baking? I intend to do no spraying so something that is disease and insect resistant will be great! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need fig recommendation for zone 7

Your question can be better answered in the fig forum. They will be able you suggest cold hardy fig vatieties.

o

Where are you located? Some types are better for the east coast, some for the west, some for pacific northwest. I'd guess Celeste, Brown Turkey, & Hardy Chicago might work for you, but it really depends on where you are

o

My experience tells me there is no such thing called cold hardy. Even Chicago hardy gets killed by the cold weather. I live in zone 7. My figs are very healthy. I have Brown Turky, Black Jack, Chicago Hardy, Italian ever-bearing and Celestia. I planted every thing in Pots. The Pots are buried in the garden in summer and pulled out in December and stored in the safe heaven (My Garage) until Early April. I put pieces of wood under the pots and I have small heater to turn on if it gets very cold like last year.

o

I saved my crop this season by throwing a tarp over the tree after driving in 3 tall stakes so tarp was just above foliage. Saved them from a frost that knocked off most of my peaches. Guess I need more tarps.

o

I am on the east coast in the mid-atlantic region. I see a lot of fig trees, big and small, in my neighborhood. So I think it is not impossible to over winter them safely here. I will definitely be very careful for the first few years. I have wire cages that I can put around the tree and fill with leaves if the weather gets too cold.

I am leaning toward celeste. It seems like many people like the flavor and the small eye is a bonus.

o

Check out our buddy Bass' website - Trees of Joy - he's 'pushing the envelope', growing figs, pomegranates, and other fruits that most folks wouldn't think would survive, much less produce, in PA.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trees of Joy

o

I was thinking about a tarp. But when you have 50 miles an hour wind in snow storm. I don't know where the tarp will be, may be in the neighbors yard.

o

The tarp is for a convection type frost after trees had budded out. I've tried to save arctic kiwis with a tarp during the other frost type (the word escapes me) but with lots of wind and it did no good. It doesn't insulate, only traps heat from the ground.

o

• Posted by ejp3 7NY (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 26, 10 at 21:00

I can name 10 figs that you can grow in ground in your location, but I would plant on the south of the house protected from the north wind by the house. All my in ground trees are planted this way and I havent covered them since 1993. Sals, osborne prolific, latarulla , latarolla, hardy chicago, atreano, marseilles vs, even black mission, and last and least in my opinion brown turkey and celeste. The last 2 are worthless cultivars in my opinion. I am on the coast zone 7 in nyc.

o

I saw huge fig trees in large pots in Madison, WI last weekend. I think they have a greenhouse they keep them in though. They were covered in fruit, some of it ripe.

o

In Z7 they're easy to protect. A piano box (very large cardboard box) covered with a tarp will easily get them through winter- no insulation required. LSU purple and some others like Chicago hardy can freeze to the ground and still have plenty of time to bear figs in 7 as well.

o

ejp3,

I am new to growing figs, but love them fresh.

I only have one Brown Turkey fig tree and want to plant more.

I have so much to learn and would really appreciate it if you would elaborate on your above post.

What are your reasons for saying Brown Turkey and Celest are worthless?

I don't want to waste my money buying them if there are better tasting/producing varieties that are hardy here in my zone 7 Cen Va area.

Also, I don't have the space to grow many, so if you could list your favorite(s) that would live in-ground here.

Thanks,
Betty

o

A lot of fig people don't care for Brown Turkey. They say it just doesn't have much flavor.

Celeste is good for humid climates because it has a closed eye. ejp is the first poster I've seen that doesn't care for Celeste, but since it is a fig good for the south, it might not do as well in NY. It just might be that you can raise a better tasting fig, or a fig better suited to your weather. Some figs need heat to ripen properly.

I haven't tasted or grown either fig. I'm just getting started in figs. In my zone, they are container plants.

Hardy Chicago always gets a lot of votes. The best place to discuss varieties would be on the fig forum here on Garden Web.

o

I also live in zone 7 and have a few varieties to recommend: Violet de Bordeaux, Celeste, Peter's Honey, and Black Jack. My personal favorite is Violet de Bordeaux -- dark, rich, sweet, and holds up well in hot summer/cold winter. I posted a few pics of some of my figs on my blog.

Here is a link that might be useful: .09 Acres

o

• Posted by ejp3 7NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 30, 10 at 20:52

I really dont have that much against brown turkey and celeste, but oregon hit it on the head. There are so many better figs to grow in my opinion. BT has an open eye which allows the fig to sour in humid climates and even split during rain. Celeste dosen't have either of these negative features but every strain of celeste I have tried-around 5-10- drops the fruit when stressed or for no apparent reason. The only celestes I have grown that don't do that have been grown in the ground and the fruit was way too small for my liking. VDB, latarulla, latarolla, sals, verte, marseilles vs, are all better figs in my opinion and at least as cold hardy

o

vaplantman, I would love to talk further with you about your figs...writing an article now for the magazine I write for, on figs hardy to zone 7. Could you email me ? I don't see where to contact you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here