Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is eating my fruit trees?

Posted by MangotheMerrier none (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 14:32

Hello all,
I am an avid reader of this forum and am in need of some idea of what is causing and how to fix a problem.

I live on the central coast of Florida. Southern Brevard County to be exact. We have five acres on a creek I have planted several fruit trees on away from the natral areas of the property. Mangoes, Avacadoes, Tons of citrus, bananas, apples, a peach and POM's. Originally it was only eating pummelo...now it has eaten my pummelo, flame grapefruit, tangelo, keitt mango, started on my kent Mango, and two of my three Avacadoes, and both apples. I have coated all trees with seven and put bug pellet/slug killer around the bases. I have found deer tracks right up next to the trees but it doesn't look like deer are the culprit as you will see from the attached photo. The stem of the leaf is still attached to the tree and half circles are bitten into the leaf. No sign of any insects caterpillars or grasshoppers on the tree. I've set up a game camera in the area just to verify it's not the deer heard.any help is much appreciated!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is eating my fruit trees?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 15:01

I think you'll likely find that it's the deer eating your trees.

o
RE: What is eating my fruit trees?

The arched "smoothness" of the cuts looks like caterpillar feeding to me, but you should have seen them. Despite the game cam, I suspect that it's the deer like fruitnut said. They have an uncanny way of being elusive to their nasty deeds.
If you see hoof prints and you have apple tree damage it's basic 1+1=2 sort of math.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here